General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

not sure whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not sure whats wrong

Someone please help with my situation. Just a few days ago, i noticed a very faint squeaking noise coming from a pulley under the hood. I thought nothing of it until just about 10 mins ago my a/c didn't blow cold anymore. Instead it was blowing warmish humid air. I just checked if i had freon, incase of a leak, which i found it to be full of freon. So im confused as to what needs to be replaced. Do i need a new compressor? What should i look for.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking ice formed in my a/c system, which caused moisture, which in turn caused blockage of the freon. i've heard of some cases in which that happened.any insight would be awesome lol
Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me too. my compressor went bad and once i fixed that my condenser went. after that i blew a seal on my compressor haha. good luck man
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

was yours blowing humid air as well?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is your compressor engaging?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pozesd99'
was yours blowing humid air as well?
yea it was blowing out real warm humid air. did you get it fixed?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Do you know what the gauges read? I just had my compressor diagnosed as bad. Did find a neat article online that had a diagnosis chart. There were links to several more articles at the bottom that were helpful too.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm

I had similar symptoms. Started blowing warm air. Definitely humid. (but I'm in Florida) My low pressure side gauge read 70 and my high pressure gauge was 200. Added some freon just in case - still no dice. Took it by an AC shop who evacuated the whole system and then refilled it to factory spec. They said that would help pull out moisture if that was the problem - as well as any additional freon if we'd overcharged it. They also checked to be sure my fan wasn't clogged or blocked - but it was blowing fine.

While putting the freon back in the system - the pressure was instantly too high. I'm told the low pressure side should read somewhere around 35. (25 and 45 are the cut off ranges) So 70 being so high - the compressor is having a hard time doing its job. Or shall we say NOT doing its job.

Diagnosis - compressor is waving goodbye.

I did read that if you want to look for an ice blockage somewhere along the lines that you can use a laser/infrared thermometer to trace down the lines and look for an extreme temp change. (aka: blockage of ice) I got a great deal on one today - -4F to +968F range for only $26.00. Shoot me a note if you want to know where I got it.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Launching!

if the compressor is making noise, it is bad. turn the ac on and off and see if the noise goes away.