General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What can I wedge between my exhaust and body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What can I wedge between my exhaust and body?

The pacesetters my TA has are real crappy; the Y pipe on the driver's side bangs around loudly under acceleration, especially when cold. I want to stick a piece of foam or something in between the pipe and the body to keep it from rattling around and making so much noise, but don't want to catch fire to something.

What cheap material could I use to cushion the area until I can get it properly situated? I was thinking of just ripping up a cheap bone sponge and sticking that up there, but I don't know if that foam would burn or melt.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a roll of header wrap (Summit and Jegs have it, and some Advance Auto/Auto Zones will also), wrap the area that's banging, then put a worm clamp on each end to keep the wrap from coming undone.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

It's a common problem that is not exclusive any particular manufacturer's y-pipe.

Mufflex makes a bump stop for it. Thunder Racing sells them.

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...t-Accessories/

Or if you're handy you could make your own.

*Lots of people install polyurethane motor mounts, which reduces movement. That's what I did.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid motor mounts fixed my bumping.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

for a cheap fix try rubber heater hose and cut it however u need it for it to fit thats what i did on my third gen when i had that problem it works well
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ghostbird
for a cheap fix try rubber heater hose and cut it however u need it for it to fit thats what i did on my third gen when i had that problem it works well
Yup. If you have one laying around cut up an old radiator hose, wrap it halfway around your y-pipe and do like Element said and use worm clamps to hold it in place. Did that with my old LT1 and it worked like a charm.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Vulcanized rubber is the best thing for exhaust bumpers. I have 2 spots where I use it, put it on 8+ yrs ago, it still looks like new. I have a bunch of it. I use it to manufacture a product of mine. If you need a couple pieces I can send you some.

I have different thicknesses too. The piece in the picture below is a 3/8" thick piece....it will stop a .22 cal bullet. Its basically indestructable. You cut the size pieces you need with a heavy duty razor knife (takes a bunch of cuts to get through it) or a jigsaw. I have a 3"x3" piece in one spot and a 3"x5" piece zip tied onto my rear axle where the exhaust goes over it.

It needs to be secured to the car, not the exhaust pipe itself. I'm not sure if over time it would melt if you attached it to the piping directly.

Attached Thumbnails What can I wedge between my exhaust and body?-dsc01825.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I just kind of flatened mine out a little more with a 2x4 and a BFH in the area that it rattled on. It did not take very much and no vibrations and you don't have a chunk or rubber under your car traping in mostiure.
Pretty simple fix really, I have about 1/4 in of clearance now
Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

poly MM will stop the exhaust from moving a fraction of a inch
Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Poly MM's fixed my problem too. Your vehicle is probably due for new mounts anyways. Just be sure you set aside 3 days / 30 hours to do it... thats how long it took me.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got one of those screw hose clamps and a length if heater hose. I unscrewed the clamp all the way, ran it through the hose, then around the pipe. I tightened it down and haven't had an issue since!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I used a 3/8 transmission hose,wraped it around the pipe,cut it to length,slid a plastic tie strap through it,and straped it around the pipe. I had like 3 of them on my 98 car. One on each collector and one on the catback mid pipe. I actualy have one on the 01 now on the over axle pipe.

Quick Reply: What can I wedge between my exhaust and body?