General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

z28 on its way out the door

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z28 on its way out the door

ok so i've had this car for 5 years and its been pretty damn reliable for the most part...untill this month....

here's the story. i put in a torquer v2/springs in may. everything was okay. this month i put on slp LT's and an ory as well as AIR/EGR/rear O2 delete. i used my rear O2 harness and repinned the pcm. i double checked and its wired properly and all the pins are good. first, it started cutting out at high rpm, then it just crapped out. shooting wires i found two things. i loose ground on the d-side head and i burnt some wires on my pass-side harness that goes to starter and such. fixed all those and all seemed ok. on the test drive after fixing those wires/ground the engine seemed ok but in the middle of the drive my tach went out. so now the problem is my tach comes in and out. when its on all is well. whenever the tach cuts off it runs like straight trash. MASSIVE backfires in the exhaust, stalling, slight power loss. whenever it comes back on the problems go away. its not throwing any codes...i need input real bad.

also, my oil level sensor wire is broken i cant fix it now till i get a new harness, just throwin that in there just in case it could have anything to do with it.

what could be causing this? is there any wires near the headers that i could have also burnt up and didnt notice?? what effects the tach like that but also my performance like that?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

alllso, my buddy has a camaro and borrowed my battery to troubleshoot his camaro, went to jump it, crossed the cables and killed my battery. had the bad battery in my car for a couple days. i know that can cause problems for the alternator. and i know they're different cars but a mustang forum said that their cars show symptoms of bad cam sensors (kinda like my problem) but it ends up bein their alternators...what do ya think??

i also read a thread about someone havin bad cam sensor symptms but it ened up being thier cam backing out??
Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

In with that loop of wires that goes to the starter is the wiring to the crankshaft sensor. IMO need to check that out could be shorting there and missed it. Also for your charging concern hook up a voltmeter and see what you are charging with and without a load on alternator ie-turn headlights and other electrical accessories on. From the way it sounds though I would double check the wiring to the crank sensor.