General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinker flasher and tail lamp repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker flasher and tail lamp repair

I have a 99 Camaro and my right blinker works, but won't blink. The green arrow indicator inside the gauge cluster won't blink either, it'll just stay green when i move the turn signal lever. I have read up here that it is most likely my blinker flasher. Where can I find the blinker flasher parts in the car and if I need to actually replace it, what part do I need exactly?

The second, slightly less important thing is that the left most lamp in my tail liight/brake light went out. The other one works well enough so that I don't get pulled over but I would like to fix this at the same time. I have opened up my tailight a couple times, I check the connection and it will work again but then go out a couple minutes after I reinstall it, so I don't think the bulb. I think its the connection.

EDIT: If you also know a decent shop that does this repair in Bergen County (or close) New Jersey that advice helps too.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by staples; 10-14-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Your turn signal flashers (yes flashers, as in there are 2 of them) are located behind the knee panel cover right under your steering column. If you remove that knee panel you'll see the flasher relay clipped on the inside right. you have to look for the clip, you can't actually see the flasher. Now you can find the flasher at any parts store, for like $3. Make sure you get the correct one though. There is one for your turn signal and one for your hazards (the hazard flasher is located on the left side opposite of the turn signal flasher).

As for your taillamp, I'd go through a process of elimination.

-check the bulb pigtail to see if any of the connectors look corroded or burnt up.
-check other bulbs that are on the same circuit to see if they are bad or have a bad terminal.
-check fuses
-if all that looks fine it may be a bad ground, splice a new ground on and fix it to the chassis.
-dress in satire that provokes the f-body gods into lending a divine hand and dance accordingly until problem is fixed.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

If its only one side that doesn't flash then its a bulb thats burned out not the flasher
Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

could be related, but it sounds like you just have a bad flasher and rear socket.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Z28 did the same thing and it turned out to be the bulb. I replaced the litle bulb at the same time; mine happened to be the front
Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Teching In

My blinker miraculously began to work again. It must be poor grounding then. I'm going to work on my tail-light in a couple days and check up the blink flasher. Thanks guys.