General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Filling up with water.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling up with water.

I searched around but could not find anything on my specific problem. My car committed suicide about a month ago (connecting rod ) so it has not been running the last month and it has not rained since then either. Its been under a car cover in the driveway. I went to pull something out of it today and I noticed that the floorboard below the petals was wet. The only thing I think it could be is condensation from the dewy mornings we have been having. But that still doesn't explain how it got in. It poured a little over a month ago and it was nice and dry inside. Any ideas
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

bump.. I ran into someone having the same problem earlier this week, we can't be the only two.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

I take it it is from the rain. You've got a weather striping leak somewhere. Easy way to test is to get s spray bottle and soapy water, turn your vent on HIGH (not recirc, close doors and windows.) Spray around the windshield from the center of the car to the driver's side edges, spray around the doors and around the bottom of the cowl around the bottom of the windshield. If you see bubbles, you've got a leak.

Most likely it will be a door seal. If the puddle was on the pass side, and it was coolant it would be a heater core, but it's not so it's not.. not... not... (R-D-R-R)

The other way to do this is to go INSIDE the car with everything off and have someone SOAKING the outside of the car and watch for where the water drips and trace it back. Kind of difficult this way. Oh, do you have a power wire running thru the firewall for an amp? is it sealed? Not a quite the smoking gun, but it's a possibility, but also check the items on the firewall. You can have someone soak that area of the engine compartment while you crawl up underneath near your pedals and look for water coming in.

I had a leak on my truck that was looking like it was the windshield seal. It was running down the A-Pillar, into the kick panel on the left bottom of the foot area and was puddling on the floor near the door. But I traced it up the A-Pillar with the panel off to the top corner of the windshield.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 10-28-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ wtf i had this on my 96 V6 turns out its a condensation line i didnt get to solve it..i sold the car..sometimes it smells like crap lol
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh. He said it was NOT raining. Well, never mind then. I thought be said it was raining and his car wasn't running. My bad.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

idk you may still be right. The a/c hasn't worked since I bought the car two months ago. I'm going to look into everything ya'll mentioned though. At night its a fair amount of water that collects on the windows, enough to collect and drip into the car I think.
Oh and what wheels are those on the red z28 in ur sig?