General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Preventive Water pump R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Preventive Water pump R&R?

The Car-01 Firehawk-mileage-100k. In the next few months, I will be replacing both radiator hoses, flushing the radiator, replacing the drive belt, replacing the thermostat ect. The water pump is not leaking or giving me any indication it might, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea while I am in there just to replace it now. Also, is there any other maintenance items I might want to do while I am in there? (I'm thinking idler and belt tensioner) Thanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Change tensioner and idler for both main belt and AC belt also.

Also change AC belt.

Dex-Cool is said to attack silicone... so if your water pump gaskets are not leaking, then perhaps switch to Presone All.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say if you're itching to do it, then do so, but if it ain't broke there's no need to fix it. Same thing with your belts-look and see if there're any cracks or chunks missing. As long as they don't have too many miles on them and they're intact there's no need to change them either...
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Change tensioner and idler for both main belt and AC belt also.

Also change AC belt.

Dex-Cool is said to attack silicone... so if your water pump gaskets are not leaking, then perhaps switch to Presone All.
Is there a tensioner and idler for the AC belt too? I have never done an LS Fbody before. Sorry if it is a noob question.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Aught
Is there a tensioner and idler for the AC belt too? I have never done an LS Fbody before. Sorry if it is a noob question.
Take a look beneath the thermostat housing to see the AC compressor... then look between the AC compressor and the crank pulley.