General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery bolt (-) is stripped why won't car stay started?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery bolt (-) is stripped why won't car stay started?

Does the wiring run to the alternator and cause it to not run or something? I appreciate any help. The bolt is stripped definitely that goes to the battery. Anyone have any advice? Is this a good time to relocate the battery? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

-Troy
Old 11-06-2010, 05:35 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

On older cars that's how they'd test the alternator to see if it was working properly-if the car ran with the battery disconnected then the 'alt was putting out power to run the car. If not, the car was running on the battery and it died when it got disconnected. You should replace the bolt, then have your system tested for free at a parts store...
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks MYK, I didn't even notice that the bolt could just be replaced. I appreciate the help man. I will go to the local auto store and see if they have a replacement.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssjTAdriver
Thanks MYK, I didn't even notice that the bolt could just be replaced. I appreciate the help man. I will go to the local auto store and see if they have a replacement.
Yup, had the same prob myself about a month ago and bought a new one at walmart. Replaced in 2 mins and the negative seats nice and snug on the batt now.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Yes when this gets replaced you have to manpower it out of the washer(?) that is holding it in... it looks like a lock washer almost. I used plyers one end on the bolt head and the other on the rubber near the bottom of the washer area. Worked in a few minutes. Thanks again guys!