General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 02:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Official F-Body Window Motor Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official F-Body Window Motor Thread!

I don't know about you guys but putting window motors in every so often shouldn't be REQUIRED maintenance! There's other threads on here about window motors I KNOW, but let's all put our $0.02 in and experiences up to maybe help the newbies and share some tips and tricks, hopefully one's that don't involve any advance, or wild wiring setups that either confuse us, or burn our pride and joy to the ground! Maybe well get some good posts and experiences with different vendors of our beloved window mtrs and see who has the best product or which of us has a horror story or broken glass. Ready?.......POST!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Let's not.

So far, no one has reported the Dorman motor going bad. Unless anyone has had issues with this motor, the answer is go Dorman and then don't worry about it.

Following this post, the masses will chime in about the Autotrix kit. The kit makes a bad motor look good, but shouldn't be needed if a good motor is installed.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a pretty simple job. I did mine in under an hour. I'm gonna need to do my passenger side by summer but I'm not that worried.

Gotta keep in mind dude, these cars, much like any other, have parts that fall to wear and tear throughout the years. Doesn't mean you gotta enjoy it but it's not like you bought a $100K car! .. When they break, it's up to you to decide to "do it yourself" or pay the dealer.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

This really is the best "how to" on this subject!
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 12-15-2010, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here the tip how to make the motor last a little longers, " Never roll the window all the way down, just roll it almost down but not all the way down, cause if roll all the way down, when roll back up, that little window motor will work 2x harder " I told my friend this before I sold the car to him, 2 year has pass and his window motor work fine.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

No I'd never take mine to a dealer, and no its not that bad. Just annoying to replace four in two years (two on each side), and now the driver is out again. Its a convertible car so I dont use the windows much and I hate drive throughs. I know its not bad just wanted to help some new guys out that ARE going to run into this. I bought all four of mine from OReileys, and I dont remeber what brand they were. What is the Autotrix kit anyway? Ive heard bad and good about it.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine werent that bad pretty simple swap actually although im looking at the writeup on how to rig the motors up in parallel so they both receive 12v I believe from what i have read that the passenger motor receives less than 12v because its rigged in series with the drivers side causing it to work harder and thus go bad easier.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

I heard that the window motors is one of those parts that your just better off buying straight from the dealer. Something about the aftermarket motors having a tendency to go bad after not too long. ... That's just what I've heard from a bunch of folks. That's why when mine went bad, I walked straight up to the overpriced parts counter at the dealer. I'd rather spend more money up front than risk having to go back to it later! ... That might be your issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at the end, im glad Igot manual roll up window ^^
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

X2 this is the best way
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
I bought 1 motor at autozone with a lifetime warranty, ive used the warranty on 3 diffrent car's. not the most honest thing but im at the point I can replace the motor in about 30 min's
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Which auto parts store carries the Dorman since that seems to be the word of mouth here for the best. Yeah I wish mine were manual, I'm hoping to run up on a silver car w/ manual windows....Ill swap doors lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The OEM motor is junk not the after market motor... I replaced my drivers side motor about 3 1/2 years ago with one with a lifetime garantee from advance auto parts....if memory serves it was about $35 and it goes up and down like a race horse..the pass side OEM motor is still working ... it is not fast but none of the OEM motors are fast..don't know about not rolling them all the way down ... I've been rolling mine all the way down now for ten years and 224,500 + miles. You can replace one in about 45 minutes there is a sticky that will show you how to do it with lots of photos. Now that I have done one I could probably to one in 30 minutes. Don't sweat it there is nothing to it. As to manual roll up windows ..phuch that ... the last car I had those kind of windows in was a 1955 Chevy...the only power window problem I have ever had was replacing the drivers side in this car 3 1/2 years ago and I have owned a lot of cars.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Launching!

get a motor with a lifetime warranty and
Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

I just would like the manual windows for simplicity lol. I wish they were more like Dodges regulator assys with steel cables. Anyone know what the little black box under the dash near to the center console that clicks is? I was just thinking it was a "module" or the relay for the window circuit? Ill try to post a pic if nobody knows what I'm talking about. Im just tired of putting these damn things in so often and I guess I've got a lot of resistance in the circuit to cause them to fail 4 times in two years. Or maybe the switch itself has a lot of resistance in it.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

i have used and sold the cheap aftermarket motors with out issue, takes me about 30 min as well, it does seem every F body i buy has at least 1 bad motor , what is retail at the dealer for oem
Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

My mother had an 02 ta that had a window motor go out under warranty. I don't see any reason to pay a ridiculous price for the same quality.

I have had only 1 go out in the 50,000 miles/2.5 years ive had my z and I got a part store window motor that is still working fine.

Part of the problem was that water was getting down into the door, I've tried to keep this from happening again.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

window motors in these cars SUK; I'm on my 5th motor at 65K miles. If you want reliable window motors buy a honda....
Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 86zcamaro

Part of the problem was that water was getting down into the door, I've tried to keep this from happening again.
Doors are designed to have water in them - so that's not a problem. Motors are not... The Doorman design is supposed to be better than OEM in this regard.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Some very good information in here guys, thanks for the tips! Just ran into this problem on my 02 SS @ 85k miles as a daily driver and will look into Advanced Auto parts for one with a lifetime guarantee! Smart thinking, since these things do die often!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

new pass motor and autotrix kit.......running fine for 2 yrs now

Quick Reply: Official F-Body Window Motor Thread!