General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No dash lights & no courtesy lamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No dash lights & no courtesy lamps

Well long story short car was invovlved in an accident most damage was on the oil pan and k member all that was replaced and I also had to replace the steering column. Once I replaced the steering the column I was able to start the car and the lights and everything was working perfectly fine. Next day took car out for a drive and the dash lights that are supposed to come on when I turn on my courtesy lamps do not come on. Also the tail lights only come on when I press the brake. I keep replacing the fuse for the tail lamps and it keeps burning one after another within seconds any ideas? I tried replacing the headlight switch and it does the same thing. Also my foglights are not working. All this occurred at once. Im stumped on this one.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

What did you hit?

But I'd pull all the underdash panels back off and start inspecting the wiring. See if you didn't get something pinched when replacing the steering column, or shoot a screw through some wires.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Well long story but I lost control and landed on top of a trailer full of wood and trash. Just bunk of junk. The front bumper and k member took the hit. Weird thing was that when I replaced the steering column afterwards everything was still working fine. I'm stuck like chuck on this one. I hate electrical things.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Check the wiring buddy, probably got a short somewhere.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
Well long story but I lost control and landed on top of a trailer full of wood and trash. Just bunk of junk. The front bumper and k member took the hit. Weird thing was that when I replaced the steering column afterwards everything was still working fine. I'm stuck like chuck on this one. I hate electrical things.
So, it was kind of like this?

Did any of the lamps get damaged? You might try taking out all of the front and rear parking lamps and see if that helps the problem. A bulb could blow and cause a short. Taking them out will confirm if you need to trace the lines or not for the short.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Launching!

None of the lamps got damaged except for 1 foglight which I replaced. And no nothing like that let's jus say I was at a friends house when I left I got on it and list control hit a curb and car landed on top of a small trash hauling trailer.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you have a pic of the damage? I'll bet there is some rash or cuts in the harness where you had to replace the fog light, which is shorting over to one of the parking light wires in the same harness.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Ok great news everyone I found my problem. One of my ballats from my hids got damaged and it seems like the ballast was touching the chassis and it was basically grounding it causing my short. Most of my damage was on the bumper and K member. I knew it had to be something simple because the bumper pad didnt even break much.