General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

symptoms of a starter/flywheel going bad?**UPDATE NOW CAR WONT START!!**

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default symptoms of a starter/flywheel going bad?**UPDATE NOW CAR WONT START!!**

well i was out today in my CETA trying to find a place to get my exhaust done and the shop i went to told me that my starter maybe going bad after i started the car and it made and kinda grinding sound and that it maybe chewing up teeth on my flywheel. i dont have a video clip but i can get one if need be what does it sound like? my car only has 62k miles on it.

thanks

adam

Last edited by 96RamAirTA; 02-04-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this grinding noise happening like a second after startup then quits?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

ya it just happens the moment the car starts not while cranking or after.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds like the starter solenoid that is on the starter going bad. It's an electromagnet that also pushes the starter pinion out to the flywheel. What happens is it gets weak and doesn't push the starter pinion forcefully enough and the pinion doesn't engage the flywheel fully and you hear that grinding. Do it enough and the pinion can wear the flywheel teeth. Unfortunately the solenoid is listed as not serviceable - meaning they won't sell you a replacement solenoid which only costs $10 but instead want you to replace the whole starter so the industry can make their money.

another cause can be a weak battery, which may be it if the shop was working on your car and had doors open for a long time and lights on and stuff. if you put a battery charger on it and the starter grinding doesn't happen then that may mean it's just a weak battery.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

no battery is brand new got it monday and thanks looks like i got one more thing to add to my welcome home maintance list...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont feel bad, mine does the same thing.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Well if its not one thing its another!!! Came out this freezing morning and go to start the car and all I get is a metallic click nothing else. Doesn't try to start. radio was working,inside light works, door open chim was chimming abid kinda soft and slowly. I hope its a dead or frozen battery nothing more

Quick Reply: symptoms of a starter/flywheel going bad?**UPDATE NOW CAR WONT START!!**