General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Half my gauges not working, half the warning lights lit up. WTF

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half my gauges not working, half the warning lights lit up. WTF

Got in my car this morning after work and only half my gauges are working, half the warning lights are on and the OBD port doesn't work.

Traction control button is not lit and not working. Seatbelt and SES light are operable (SES light came on after i took off driving because of a malfunctioning knock sensor).

I checked all fuses on the side of the dash and all of them under the hood with a DMM and they all tested good.

What should i check next?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

I took the PCM out today and the top connector had some water and corrosion in it. I dried it out with a hairdryer, plugged everything back together and everything is fine now.

If you ever need to remove your PCM or it's connectors, the rubber seals go back INTO THE CONNECTOR! When i pulled the connectors off, the rubber gaskets stayed on the PCM so that's how i tried to reinstall them.....for 30 mins!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Well, i guess i spoke too soon. Just went on another ride and the gauges and OBD starting going erratic then they just went out.

I stopped at auto zone and picked up a can of electrical contact cleaner and some soft wire brushes. Hopefully that'll clean it up.

-A little side story: I was at the counter telling the guy i needed the exhaust gasket between the manifold and exhaust pipe for my GF's car and there was this Master ASE Certified meth head with sores all over his face besides me. He says "oh, what you need a sensor? It's the oxygen sensor!" I said, no i need an exhaust gasket. He says, "oh man, you don't need that, get some of that high temperature sealant, put it in there and smash it together. You'll be good to go." I said, this is $1.99 i'll take a chance with this. God, i hate (most) people.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be real careful with that brush. Those pins can corrode and weaken and even just a bit too much pressure can cause them to snap off.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Elthesh
Be real careful with that brush. Those pins can corrode and weaken and even just a bit too much pressure can cause them to snap off.

I brushed it lightly with a brass brush and sprayed some cleaner in it and there was one bent. Went to bend it back and it pretty much broke clean off. It had to be one that's in use, not one of the other 20 that's not used.

I paid for another PCM last week but the guy hasn't responded since payment. Hopefully i get it soon but then i still have to send it off to get programmed. I'm gonna run it like this till i get my new one in and hope nothing blows up.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

hey, i'm the guy in the same situation as you. I think 1 of my pins broke off and another 2 are weak. When i dried mine out the gauges keep working but the engine light came on. When i was out driving it last night the light went off so im hoping i wont need to buy a new PCM. If i do need a new pcm do you know of any credible companies that have warranties?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Launching!

I got one from a guy on the forums for $45 shipped. As for a warranty, unless you buy brand new ($300-$400) i doubt you'll get one. I'd either get one used on here or go to pull-a-part or a junkyard and buy a used one.

You can check and see what uses the pins you broke here. There's quite a few that are unused. Maybe you got lucky.

The one i broke is "Battery Positive Voltage".

You can also get a remanufactured PCM from Frost for $105 i think. Either way, unless you get a PCM from the same year as your car you'll have to get it reprogrammed with your VIN and vehicle info.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Got it running! I disassembled the PCM and replaced the broken pin with one that was not being used and soldered it back into place.

Quick Reply: Half my gauges not working, half the warning lights lit up. WTF