General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

93 Z-LT1 Cutting out and slight misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Z-LT1 Cutting out and slight misfire

Ok so i know the famous LT1 scenario of a slight misfire. When i am at a stop light and go too drive away the car seems too kinda jump on me and you can just hear it missing but if im wide open throttle it seems smooth. Not sure since the guy i bought from supposedly replaced all the wires ect. Sometimes when i come too a stop at a light the engine will dip low on rpms too. When a few gears have went through and its low on rpms and i try too slowly roll into it it seems too cut out some and seems like a misfire?

Any Help Appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Teching In

I have done tons of reading and see alot of people say in the case of what my car is doing it is probably 02's? Some said if it runs fine at WOT then its probably 02;s causing the hesitation and slight misfire
Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is a LT-1 with an irratic random misfire and the plugs and wires have been done with GOOD QUALITY wires you could need an optispark. Good quality means GM factory wires or other performance wires. Nothing sold by Autozone, Kragen/O' Reilly, Napa, or other small place compares to a factory wire or other expensive performance wire. I think they make update distributors to replace your crappy optispark with a more conventional distributor. It is more rare but some LT-1's have injector issues. To check them use an ohmmeter and they all should read pretty close to each other. Excessively low resistance means an internally shorted injector. I am not sure what the spec is off hand you would need to get a look at the factory service manual which are hard to come by anymore since they were books and everything is computer now.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why do people say O2 sensors are common for misfires? I am an ASE master tech and worked at a GM dealer and have never seen an O2 sensor cause a misfire. It is possible but it will likely set a p01** code on OBD-II cars and on a car like yours it will be some other code. If you only have a misfire code set I would not think it is not an o2 sensor. If you have looked in your engine bay on that LT-1 though get ready to cry because likely what you have to do to check the plugs is pull each one by one and see if it is carbon tracked on the porcelain, cracked, or check to make sure there is proper gap. Once you pull them you should just put new ones in because they are so damn hard. Optispark is also a nightmare to replace and when you do it if you do, it is very smart to do new wires because they are right there when you replace the distributor.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help! He has wires and plugs changed but not sure what type were used? I will look into the optispark i just hoped it wasnt that. Process of elimination begins i suppose!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very helpful website suggests vacuum leak-check it out.Good Luck

http://www.aa1car.com/random-misfire/
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Good one thank you, gonna look today for vacuum leaks!

Quick Reply: 93 Z-LT1 Cutting out and slight misfire