General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Chirp when driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirp when driving?

I always had a little bit of a squeek or chirp coming from my car when I drive that I hear on the outside.
not real loud but when windows are down you hear it. Now that I have done my front suspension (switched to adjustable a arms w new shocks and springs) and
my car is back to stock height (before front was lowered and back was stock height) it seems like its gotten louder and more noisy.

I'm almost completely positive its coming from my back driverside wheel, and I know my 9in I have is kind of a turd
and been run kinda low on oil a couple times.

Also I know that my rear shocks are trash because it continuously bounces after a dip or bump in the road.
Also I know that my driverside shock looks like it could have been leaking (unexplained wetness on shock).

Anybody have any clues to what this could be or why it could have got louder now that my front side is no longer lowered?

I never really worried about it and there is always a laundry list of things wrong with this car but now that it is somewhat louder it kind of has me thinking and worrying it could be something catastrophic in the works.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes when a shock gets worn it can squeel, also you could get a squeek from a spring that has moved, or worn thru its cup that irt sits in. lay around the car and have a buddy push on the corners of it to try and isolate the sound so You know what your hunting.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I know I had a squeek that ended up being a rear parking brake shoe, due to a leaky axle seal. SO the shoe got wet and squeeked. Replaced seal, cleaned shoe, and no more squeek. But you'res sounds different. Good luck with search.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always go a little crazy with the brake cleaner and see if that helps.. Sounds like possibly a bad shock or unset spring, either way i was riding bad shocks for forever and when i finaly replaced mine i couldnt believe i hadnt done it sooner!! Get on that man its soooo much better, unconsiously i actually ended up hating driving my car just because it always felt like **** and like i was taking a tank out but now...all better
Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Well chirp is there when turning slowly ( I had always thought it was because I had a locker)
Definately a vibration, prob starts around 50mpg, It comes and goes though, its not always there, sometimes its worse than others.

Also gets faster with speed, but doesnt seem proportional to how fast the wheels are moving but I could be wrong.

Almost seems like it gets quieter when I push the clutch in

Thanks, that could be it, im sure my shocks are done, I can pressed down on my car with one hand and it'll bounce forever

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
You could always go a little crazy with the brake cleaner and see if that helps.. Sounds like possibly a bad shock or unset spring, either way i was riding bad shocks for forever and when i finaly replaced mine i couldnt believe i hadnt done it sooner!! Get on that man its soooo much better, unconsiously i actually ended up hating driving my car just because it always felt like **** and like i was taking a tank out but now...all better

The parking brake squeeked when it wasnt being used?
I got lt1 rear brakes with my 9inch, don't know if that could change things.

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I know I had a squeek that ended up being a rear parking brake shoe, due to a leaky axle seal. SO the shoe got wet and squeeked. Replaced seal, cleaned shoe, and no more squeek. But you'res sounds different. Good luck with search.

Good Idea I will have to try that!

Originally Posted by RARON455
Sometimes when a shock gets worn it can squeel, also you could get a squeek from a spring that has moved, or worn thru its cup that irt sits in. lay around the car and have a buddy push on the corners of it to try and isolate the sound so You know what your hunting.
Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Well here's something strange....

I kinda thought it before but finally realized that the noise definately goes away when I press on the brake even slightly,

Any thoughts about that?

I hadn't had a chance to put it on jackstands and have someone press on gas yet because I've been studying too much for a cal 2 exam to try it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Then it's something to do with brakes. Either bad caliper and it's dragging the pad, or a small axle seal leak that is getting pads wet.
Yes, mine was the parking brake, it's the top hat style with the horseshoe brake inside. The axle leak was so small that it didn't drip on wheel. Just enough to leak all over brake and backing plate etc. If you know what side, tear it apart and see what you got.
Probably a sticky caliper pin.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

What would cause it to do that though if the brake isn't being used? Even if its wet, what would it be touching to cause that? I think it could be a leak because the seal on the other axle is seaping enough that I see it on the brake

Im definately gonna just on it this weekend after my exams
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

my left rear brake is doing the same thing right now. i'm thinking its a bad caliper, so i'm going to replace that and go from there. when i greased the pins it went away for a few days but now it's back. lt1 brakes have the parking brake integrated into the caliper (my 95 does anyway), no seperate shoes to worry about so i think you're clear on that one.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

sweet, let me know how that goes for you man
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

will do
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I think the oils seep into the pad and expand the pad enough to make slight contact. Amongst other bad things that can happen when oil gets into places that should be dry.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely the caliper or the pads. Pinpoint the corner it's coming from, take the wheel off and examine. You will need to take the parking brake into consideration if you're problem is coming from either of the rear wheels.

Remove the cap to the brake master cylinder and place a clean cloth over the top of the reservoir. Make sure that not even so much as a speck of dust gets into your brake fluid. Go back to the caliper, remove the pads, and recompress the two pistons with a piece of wood and a C-clamp. Once they're pushed all the way in, make sure there's enough brake pad grease between the pistons and the back side of the pads, then reinstall the brake pads and the cap and take it for a spin.

If it's still squeaking and you're in need of pads on that half of the car relatively soon, go ahead and change the pads for some ceramics. That might fix the problem there. If not, you can either buy a new caliper or in some cases get the old one rebuilt. It could be "stuck," resulting in one side of the pad scraping just slightly on the rotor - but when you press the brake pedal, the piston pushes the pad into the rotor and it makes positive, equal contact across the rotor/pad surface which results in solid braking friction instead of a squeal.

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 03-25-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

Well I just changed out rear shocks, no luck so far, the chirp definately stops as soon as brake is lightly pressed though
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

I think I know where all the squeeking was coming from before now. I still haven't had time to actually get under the car and mess with it though because school has been pretty rough.

As I came home today I noticed I started smelling some hot *** brakes and when I stopped I could feel the heat coming off of the back driverside wheel while the others were just normal. It was so hot you could hear the metal popping, wasn't glowing or smoking though.

I don't have time to look at it tonight because I got an exam tomorrow morning, but you guys have any clues?

Only thing I can think of is mayb it was screwed up to begin with and when I put in a new parking brake it may get stuck on.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Well I finally had the time now that school ended to go under the car.
What it is is the lever arm for the parking brake is sticking and wont let off all the way when I turn off the parking brake.
I have to actually go under and push the lever arm all the way back.
The chirp does stop when I push it in though.

Anybody know what I can do to cure this?
Its not that the line is pulling on it, its just sticking.
Should I just WD40 that ho?
haha

Quick Reply: Chirp when driving?