General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

moisture coming through pcv

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moisture coming through pcv

i've got kind of an odd issue. first of all it's an '02 SS, long tubes, no cats, K&N intake, vette MAF, ported TB, stock pcv system with a catch can. ok, i have a missfire. it's not bad but if you listen next to the cutout you can hear it. i thought it was my maf sensor because i just swapped to the vette sensor so i took it off and when i did, i noticed there was a few water droplets in the TB. i checked my catch can and there was about 2-3 ounces if i had to guess of water in the bottom. there was condensation on the oil cap but the dipstick looked fine and i pulled the valve covers and everything looked normal under there. you can see smoke coming out the exhaust and it's leaving water dropplets from the tips just like if you crank any car up in the morning but it does it after a 30 minute drive just sitting idling.

also, just prior to all the water in the catch can, TB, exhaust, oil cap, etc. i changed the oil, cleaned all the sensors in the intake, cleaned the TB, cleaned the pcv catch can, swapped pcv valves, swapped back to the vette MAF, seafoamed the car, etc. so this isn't somthing that's been building up, it's happened in about 2 days time.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

get a LS6 valley cover.........nuff sed
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd like to, but that doesn't explain all the condensation. it's not that it's pulling oil mist through, it was actually brownish clear water in the catch can.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i had that milkshake crap all in my oil cap before the valley swap.......clean as a whistle now.......so i think the condensation problem is licked now
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i understand why it would help in not getting that condensation into the intake but i don't see what it would keep the condensation from forming though. i'd like to know where it's actually coming from.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The stock PCV has a special cable that ties the PCV casing to the throttle body to heat it up and prevent condensation from happening.

If your catch can doesn't get hot with the engine, then you'll get condensation on cold days.

Also, do you have
Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
The stock PCV has a special cable that ties the PCV casing to the throttle body to heat it up and prevent condensation from happening.
That's a heat sink. Just warms up the valve itself quicker in cold/freezing conditions.
Some condensation and milky stuff in the catchcan, dipstick or filler cap is normal. Especially if you make a lot of short trips in cold conditions where your engine oil isn't at normal operating temps long enough to burn off contaminates and moisture. If your coolant temps indicate that it's warm, it doesn't mean your oil is. If you go WOT before your engine oil is hot enough, you'll blow even more of that crap into your catchcan. Also, a 160 degree thermostat can just add to the problem.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 03-19-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i guess it just burnt off all the condensation. i took a long trip and by the time i got home, everything was clean and moisture free. i just wish i knew where it came from. i hardly ever shut it off before it warms up completely. most of my drives are a good distance. who knows.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It comes from hot vapor hitting cold metal. You will see more condensation on cold and/or dry days and less on warm or humid days.