General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dealership problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dealership problems

Been a little while since I posted on tech, because I sold my last LSx car about a year ago, but I'm having problems with my new car (a 2009 Cobalt SS).

I have received horrible service and courtesy from the dealership I bought my car from on all warranty matters.

Recently, I've noticed that my car is experiencing a parasitic draw issue (something is draining too much power from the battery while the car is shut off). There is nothing aftermarket on the car that could be drawing the power.

The dealership absolutely refuses to conduct a parasitic draw test on the vehicle. The first time I put it in the shop for this matter, they said they could not replicate the problem (99% sure they didn't even check it out). The second time it went to the shop for this, they told me that I have a bad battery, and they cannot test it under warranty (I've since replaced the battery, and it hasn't solved the problem, although the original battery WAS bad, probably because of the problem I've described ).

I told them I didn't care if the battery was bad, that there was a separate problem, and I needed them to do a parasitic draw test. They absolutely refused.

I live in a small town, and they are the only GM dealer here. I could take it to another one that's about an hour away, but it's a huge inconvenience for me. I work out of my car.

The car is currently just over 70k miles, and is covered under the extended warranty I bought when I purchased the car (not just the powertrain warranty).

Should this test be covered?

I'm so tired of getting screwed around with this car. I could write a novel about all my poor experiences with this dealer. I should have pressed the issue and made this car a lemon before it hit 36k miles.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Is there another GM dealer close? Since its extended warranty then any GM dealer ought to be able to work on it. I cant really fathom why they wouldnt want to run the test. Im sure theyve had you agree to a diagnosis fee if for whatever reason the problem wouldnt be cover under your extended warranty, so either way they are going to get payed to do the work.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem is the warranty (ironically). They don't want to try and chase down an electrical draw for 3/10 of an hour that GM probably pays to do that. What you need to find out is if that is actually covered past the 36K warranty. Honestly, my guess is that it's not covered but I'm sure you can contact someone besides the dealer to find out. PM me if you can't find out and I'll ask my dad, he is a Tech at a GM dealer and would know I'm sure, or can find out.

Really, finding a draw isn't the hardest of things to do. Many times it can be a bad relay, bad switch, etc. although it does get much more complicated with the new cars and all their modules.

You can do a simple test yourself: Do you notice any lights on inside after the car is shut off? Maybe fold down a rear seat and see if the trunk light is staying on when the trunk is shut for example.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Ask to speak with the manager of that dealership and tell him whats going on with you and the mechanics. They don't want to loose ratings of CS and RB because of it so i'm sure the manager will step in get it right.

my 2c
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

From my experience working as a technician at a GM dealership that would be covered or at least checked. It's highly likely that whatever is causing the draw is covered under your warranty, but it's dealership laziness that's killing you. Most of the time our service writers have people sign for at least a half hour so we can get the car diagnosed. It doesn't take much work to set the car up and check for a draw. I usually set my meter up and let the car sit on the other side of the shop for a couple of hours to see how high the mVs get. This dealership sounds awful and I would like to personally apologize for having such a bad experience. My recommendation is to find another dealership or call Chevrolet and tell them your experience. I believe the phone number is 1800CHEVUSA and they will get in contact with the dealership and involve the service manager in your case. Hope everything works out!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

OEM battery is covered by the 3/36 warranty as well, or at least it was on my 2006 GTO.

Ryan
Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to another dealership.....call first and ask one of the service writers if its covered, get his name and go see that guy. I've had problems with scumbag service writers before, I simply drove to another dealer and got problems fixed immediately.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alot of you people really need to read before you reply. He is outside of his 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. This is all on the extended warranty company who will NOT tell you if anything is covered until a full diagnosis is done. So therefore, the dealership will normally get the customer to approve X hours of diagnosis. Then once the problem is identified the service advisor will call the extended warranty company and tell them what parts and labor are needed. The extended warranty company will then approve or disapprove the repair. Then the customer will either not be charged the diag fees (which the warranty company will pay if approved) or they will be stuck with the diag fees and the cost of the repair should they choose to fix it.

It sounds like to me that they arent even diagnosing the vehicle which comes down to a customer service issue. Go in and talk to the service manager, tell him you will agree to pay.5 or 1.0 hours diag (1.0 is the industry standard most places, some do .5 on electrical repairs) if the issue is not covered under your extended warranty company.

Whos your extended warranty through if you dont mind me asking? Btw I was a chevrolet service advisor so I have a good idea of what im talking about.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All the extended warranties I've seen.....tells you in detail whats covered and whats not. I've never seen an extended warranty company say, "hey, join our warranty company and its crapshoot whether we cover something if you ever have a problem."

Read the agreement.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
All the extended warranties I've seen.....tells you in detail whats covered and whats not. I've never seen an extended warranty company say, "hey, join our warranty company and its crapshoot whether we cover something if you ever have a problem."

Read the agreement.

I dont have to read the agreement. Im telling you now, the agreement is bullshit. And they cannot tell you whats covered and whats not anyways. Because they dont know if the draw is caused by a module going bad on its own, getting filled with water because of a careless power washer, a wiring harness getting nibbled on by rodents, something plugged into the cars electrical system that fried an electrical component, bad programming in the ecu, a faulty starter or alternator,............ so they have to decide what caused the issue then if its covered, its covered. Theres an entire list of stuff I could go through thats not covered in even the most exstensive extended warranty plans. It also depends heavily on the warranty company. Millenium covers damn near anything thats not obviously user error, route 66 wont hardly cover anything.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like annivSS is saying here. id take his advice.

im sure as was recommended call that 800 number to see whats covered if you have a GMPP agreement. if not call your warranty co.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

AnivSS is correct. Warranty company wants to know the failed part before they will agree to anything. Parasitic draws are the worse to find. Have taken up to three hours in out shop. A small town chevrolet dealer. If you have a GMPP contract (the only kind to buy) they have no choice but to diagnosis for you. If it is not a covered part you could be looking a a hefty diagnosis bill. If the dealer is non compliant a call to customer service would not go well for them. My Gm service rep is ALL about customer service at this time. The customer service # is in your owners manual towards the last page.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Alot of you people really need to read before you reply. He is outside of his 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. This is all on the extended warranty company who will NOT tell you if anything is covered until a full diagnosis is done. So therefore, the dealership will normally get the customer to approve X hours of diagnosis. Then once the problem is identified the service advisor will call the extended warranty company and tell them what parts and labor are needed. The extended warranty company will then approve or disapprove the repair. Then the customer will either not be charged the diag fees (which the warranty company will pay if approved) or they will be stuck with the diag fees and the cost of the repair should they choose to fix it.

It sounds like to me that they arent even diagnosing the vehicle which comes down to a customer service issue. Go in and talk to the service manager, tell him you will agree to pay.5 or 1.0 hours diag (1.0 is the industry standard most places, some do .5 on electrical repairs) if the issue is not covered under your extended warranty company.

Whos your extended warranty through if you dont mind me asking? Btw I was a chevrolet service advisor so I have a good idea of what im talking about.
I bought the extended warranty with the car. I'm not sure exactly what is was called (maybe GM Protection Plan?), but it was offered to my by the dealer. It's supposed to cover everything that the 36k warranty covered, except squeaks/rattles, and interior trim problems.

The service writer never asked me to agree to any diagnostic fees, he just told me that it wouldn't be covered by warranty because it's a bad battery, and refused to do the testing I'd requested.

I would talk to the service manager, except he's really got it out for me. Him and I already had it out over a brake issue shortly after I got the car (a rear brake pad separated from it's backing at 18,500 miles, and caused me to lose my brakes until I pumped them back up, dealership refused to service under warranty, calling it "routine wear and tear"). He doesn't like me, and certainly isn't going to help out on this issue.

I may have to give customer service a call. I tried that on the brake issue to no avail, but maybe it's time to try again.

I hate the way I've been treated by this dealership and GM during my ownership of this vehicle. I can't wait to sell it and try another company that values their customers.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

I can't seem to find any paperwork on the warranty. I know I had it somewhere, but it's not in the folder with the rest of the stuff from when I bought the car. So I can't tell you exactly which company is paying the bills on this.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Brake linings are considered wear & tear items. I would politely explain to the service manager that your battery has been going dead so you replaced it per his service writer & now you continue to have the same problem. There shouldn't be an issue about this. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a dead beat service writer.
Just remember you are mad at their service department not GM. If you were close to southeast MO I would be more than glad to have our shop take a look at it.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you are getting nowhere with them. I would file a complaint somehow but take your car to another dealer. Call them first, feel them out, go to a big dealer in a big city and get this over with. If you have to drop the car off for a week until they figure it out then so be it. That's what I would do at this point.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you bought the warranty at that dealer with the car the finance department can give you the needed info on your extended warranty. Just take them your VIN#. And the brake lining should have been covered since seperation is outside of normal wear and tear, unless the pad was worn to the point of coming apart, which wouldnt happen under normal condition in that mileage. You have a deadbeat service department on your hands that obviously cares nothing about customer service. Which intrigues me because everywhere ive worked thats how the advisors get payed.