General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard acceleration = Air bag light. WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hard acceleration = Air bag light. WHY?

I can't figure it out. When I stomp on the gas from a stop to even hi-way speeds, my air bag light on the dash will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens a lot. I know my car is fast and it will throw you back when I get on it, but the air bag light should not come on. Cars faster than mine do not have this problem. My last concern is if I ever happen to get in a crash while the light is on, will the air bags deploy?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

They probably will not deploy if the light is on. You probably have a loose wire that is coming disconnected when you accelerate.

You can have the SES system scanned for codes and it should tell you where the problem is.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what a few local members guessed. I don't have the SES light on though. No codes should show up if i'm correct.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Sorry, I meant to say SIR codes. If your airbag light comes on, I'd expect that the SIR codes will still be in memory even if the light resets after you cycle the car. (I have never gotten a SIR code before though. Maybe someone else can confirm.)

Quick Reply: Hard acceleration = Air bag light. WHY?