General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How hard is it to put your own freon in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to put your own freon in?

My daily drivers AC hasn't worked for a couple years because I think theres no freon in the system. I really don't want to pay $100+ for a re-fill. Has anyone used one of those kits like from the parts store? The car is a 1998 Buick Skylark
Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

If you did not harm your compressor, you can go th Wally World and get the recharge kit, for approx. $35. It has gages, 135, oil all included. Just follow instructions.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might be able to get a leak stop or a dye that helps you identify where a leak might be.

Check the compressor seal. If the pulley and clutches are all soaked and dirty then the seal probably went and flung oil all over the place and then the refrigerant leaked out.

My wifes 1998 Buick Century had this happen to hers, I replaced the compressor, bought new o rings from GM and borrowed a vacuum pump from a guy at work and its still working, 3 summers later.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

If I'm not mistaken, you need to go to a shop to recharge if there's no refrigrerant in it since they need to pull a vacuum and then add refrigerant
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you can pick up a cheapo vacuum unit from harbor freight. Pulling a vacuum would be best first to make sure there is no water in the system. Also, pulling a vacuum and trying to hold a vacuum for a few minutes will let you know if you have a leak somewhere. but do not put leak stop in it. thats bad news down the road. you can find cans of r134a without leak stop. most will advertise it, but avoid it.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to put your own freon in?