General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I need some advice on loosing coolant

Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice on loosing coolant

Alright here is my situation. Had car parked outside while did work on my car last week. Moved it and went back in the garage and noticed what looked like a puddle outside. Checked it and it smelled like coolant. Where the puddle was by the lower hose right below the cap. Checked coolant and noticed it was little low in the radiator.

So next day jack car up and let it run for 15mins from warm temp and got under the car and no leaks. Let it cool for an hour or 2 and did same thing again and still no leaks. Even had someone rev it and noticed no smell or leak. Did notice the line from the radiator to water pump wasnt on all the way so moved that back and thought that was the problem. Went out and drove it about 30 miles that night and come back home. Checked coolant next morning and it had went down like it did before but no leaks on my floor. No smoke when i get on it and oil on the dip stick is clean. I did include pictures cause i did find some what appears to be dryed up coolant (heard it turns or looks like sand once its dry) on the side below the cap. Temp gauge stays in the same place other than that car runs strong. Its a heads/cam car and all the gaskets were replaced when all work is done. Already checked around the water pump and its not coming from there. Here are pics hope someone can figure this out for me.

This is where my coolant level goes everything i drive it. Remind you i fill it basically up to the top of where the hole is for it to go into the overflow
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go buy a new radiator cap.....problem should be solved.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Go buy a new radiator cap.....problem should be solved.

You think its coming from there?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How full is the overflow reservoir...?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How big was the puddle? It may have come from the pump weep hole, which you can't see. This is an indication that the pump is going out.

A bad pump may also be introducing air in to the system, which could explain your radiator level. (It may not be a leak. You are ONLY "loosing" coolant if the level in your overflow is going down.)
Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
How big was the puddle? It may have come from the pump weep hole, which you can't see. This is an indication that the pump is going out.

A bad pump may also be introducing air in to the system, which could explain your radiator level. (It may not be a leak. You are ONLY "loosing" coolant if the level in your overflow is going down.)
As to the previous post level in my overflow is in the normal on the stick.

Puddle was very small and like i said where the puddle was right below the lower hose and the hose going to the water pump and radatior cap. And you can see from the pics you can see the sand that has developed around that cause thats not dirt lol my engine is spotless usually.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CGriff04
You think its coming from there?
Very often when people run their engines and look for leaks....but see and hear nothing coming out......its just a bad cap and you lose coolant in the form of steam while your driving around every day.

The puddle is wierd though. Maybe a small pinhole leak somewhere or the water pump....as mentioned by others.

I'd just try a new cap....they cost $3.00.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CGriff04
As to the previous post level in my overflow is in the normal on the stick.

Puddle was very small and like i said where the puddle was right below the lower hose and the hose going to the water pump and radatior cap. And you can see from the pics you can see the sand that has developed around that cause thats not dirt lol my engine is spotless usually.
Like, your previous post said nothing about your overflow tank. Just that your oil dipstick was clean.

A weeping water pump explains all of your symptoms nicely. If you pass a pressure test, see more puddles, and the level in the radiator continues to get worse, then its a bad pump.

Search this Thread