Rattle heard coming from rear during idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rattle heard coming from rear during idle

98 SS a4 here

Its weird,
The most accurate way to describe it is when the car idles, and some times when i shift into reverse, neutral, park drive i hear a slight rattle from the rear. When i take off, hard or light, it disappears. Although when i approach a stopsign or stoplight it comes back..

My first assumption is maybe a bad bushing? rear trans mount? torque arm? loose spare tire?

Any of this grenade my finances to fix?

Also my tranny 'clunks' when i shift gears, shifts smooth but i can hear a slight sound from my tranny when it shifts in all gears. No whine either, this is addressed from the previous owner but gm says all is fine.

help
Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

any advice?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend's car recently started to rattle from the rear but it was because he just installed a torquer v2 cam, in his case it's his exhaust vibrating so much onto the floorboard and he has a TSP 1 7/8, ORY, and custom catback. so maybe it's just your exhaust? Someone with better knowledge will chime in, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking exhaust as well, and that the shifting noise is unrelated. Check trans fluid for that problem? Check your exhaust clamps and hangers for looseness, I suppose.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
I was thinking exhaust as well, and that the shifting noise is unrelated. Check trans fluid for that problem? Check your exhaust clamps and hangers for looseness, I suppose.
alright ill check that when i get off of work and get home with the exhaust clamps

as far as the trans fluid goes, its not leaking and its full. Doesn't smell burned either, whats weird is that the previous owner brought it to the dealership and the dealership said it was a non issue. Im like wtf lol
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

The rattle could be your catalytic convertor being bad. Assuming you still have your cat, I would get a hammer or mallet and bang the cat a couple times. If you hear the rattle then problem solved. Sometimes the honeycomb inside them starts breaking off.
As far as the transmission clunk, it could simply be your transmission mount wearing out. Simple fixes.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have a clunk when shifting....sounds like a tranny mount. They cost about $60.00.

Rockauto.com might have them cheaper. But have a look, see if the rubber came free from the metal.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
The rattle could be your catalytic convertor being bad. Assuming you still have your cat, I would get a hammer or mallet and bang the cat a couple times. If you hear the rattle then problem solved. Sometimes the honeycomb inside them starts breaking off.
As far as the transmission clunk, it could simply be your transmission mount wearing out. Simple fixes.
cat is brand new, when i bought the car the dealer welded in a cat to my y pipe. The sound is coming from the rear of the car, its kinda hard to pinpoint exactly where cuz when i leave it in park, the noise comes and goes and I can't leave the drivers seat when its running lol. The exhaust hangers sounds like the culprit, but it definitely has a vibration sound to it. I can kinda sorta hear it coming from the spare tire area.. my spare is locked up tight but my jack is just sitting there in the compartment, im gonna remove it and the crowbar and see if that fixes the sound.

The trans mount ugh i knew it, I'll take it in and have it inspected tomorrow when i change my oil
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a lot of problems with the jack rattling in the fbody before the one I have now. Apparently this one had problems too, because when I bought it that compartment was stuffed with fabric to stop vibration.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I took the jack out, the spare and crowbar. Vibrating sound continued, although I think I narrowed it down to my exhaust resting on a suspension bar (don't know the name of it) its the part where the i-pipe comes up and over the axel, and before the muffler. When I move the exhaust (dam that sombitch is rigid) the sound lightens so I think I narrowed it down to it being what I said. As far as the clunk, my mechanic said my trans mount is fine, and that it could be my rear end, or ujoints, or spider gears.. it does make sense although it does make a slight kink sound when it shift gears even when my car is in motion.

To fix my rattling I'm gonna instal a manual cutout and have my exhaust lengthen by about half and inch so it doesn't touch that suspension piece.

Any other thoughts about the transmission kink sound? My fluid is fine, new, amd full

Quick Reply: Rattle heard coming from rear during idle