General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Guage

Well 1st off I'm not sure I'm in the right place but I hope you guys can help me.

I have a 2002 Camaro v6 no clue what series the engine is. Lately the Oil pressure gauge at idle (after having been driving for half an hour or so) will start to read somewhere around 30-35 psi. When I accelerate or rev the engine it'll go back up to 60-70psi.

Theres no tapping/clicking/clanking/squeaking nothing. I've checked my oil level a couple of times throughout each week since it started (about 3 weeks ago) but its maintaining its level no loss of oil that I've noticed.

Checked under the car while its running not seen any leaks there either.

About 2-3 weeks ago I did have my service engine light on right before this started happening, I took my car in to have the oil changed (I'm not very mechanics savvy at all, would love to learn though) and ended up getting the 60k mile serviceing done to it. The light went off but the gauge still acts up.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pressure sending unit could be goin bad, or they put too thin of oil in. I've made that boo boo before on an oil change.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All teh 3.8L in the 4th Gen were the Series II.

That seems lowish but it has been a few years since I had my 2000. The GM range says 20-120psi... allowing down to 6psi at hot idle. Nobody is probably comfortable with that. Mine would stay usually around 60psi at idle, and climb with throttle.

It could be the sending unit. If you had an SES light, you would need to get the code read to see what it was for. I don't imagine they put completely wrong oil in it... it takes 10W30 which is pretty common. Unless they put some sort of 20wt in it that probably isn't the issue, but stranger things have happened.