General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stop the squeaking - SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stop the squeaking - SOLVED!

When I'm driving there is this annoying squeak coming from behind me. I'm 99% sure it has to do with the plastic piece in the hatch/trunk that holds the rear speaker on the driver's side. Anyone experience this? How do I shut it up?

Last edited by methdmx; 12-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by methdmx
When I'm driving there is this annoying squeak coming from behind me. I'm 99% sure it has to do with the plastic piece in the hatch/trunk that holds the rear speaker on the driver's side. Anyone experience this? How do I shut it up?
Turn your music louder
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Ha I should but I like to hear my exhaust a little too. And it's this higher pitch squeak that cuts through the music.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha I should but I like to hear my exhaust a little too. And it's this higher pitch squeak that cuts through the music.
it happent all time, or it only happent when u go crappy road ?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Teching In

All the time now. I believe it started happening when it got real cold. I don't remember hearing it in the summer.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

I have the same problem and it's very annoying. It's coming from directly behind my seat, right in my left ear lol. I'll let you know what's causing it when I track it down.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Teching In

It's hard to track down when you're driving lol but I removed and re-installed the plastic piece that holds the rear speaker and the noise was gone for a while. That is what leads me to believe that's the cause. I'm guessing there needs to be some insulation/padding somewhere around there...
Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
I have the same problem and it's very annoying. It's coming from directly behind my seat, right in my left ear lol. I'll let you know what's causing it when I track it down.
OMFG, SAME NOISE HERE, i think it the fking seat bell thing that connect to the top.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's hard to track down when you're driving lol but I removed and re-installed the plastic piece that holds the rear speaker and the noise was gone for a while. That is what leads me to believe that's the cause. I'm guessing there needs to be some insulation/padding somewhere around there...
I removed that piece also, its mounted with hook and loop velcro patches like the dash pad. I found that one of my patches aren't holding anymore and replaced it with 3m tape. It helped for about a day until the tape stopped sticking lol.

Originally Posted by killagt
OMFG, SAME NOISE HERE, i think it the fking seat bell thing that connect to the top.
Yeah its really annoying because I've fixed every rattle and this is the last squeek lol. I originally thought it was a leaking hatch strut but that didn't fix it. I'm almost to the point of getting somebody to drive while I cram in the back seat looking for the noise.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
I removed that piece also, its mounted with hook and loop velcro patches like the dash pad. I found that one of my patches aren't holding anymore and replaced it with 3m tape. It helped for about a day until the tape stopped sticking lol.

Yeah its really annoying because I've fixed every rattle and this is the last squeek lol. I originally thought it was a leaking hatch strut but that didn't fix it. I'm almost to the point of getting somebody to drive while I cram in the back seat looking for the noise.
lol I was banging around the area to see where the noise, but no luck, only happent when driving.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try putting some white lithium grease on the hatch strut's metal shaft while the hatch is open, then open and close the hatch a few times to lube it. I did this as a shot in the dark, and it got rid of my squeak that I couldn't find. It sounded like it was coming from behind the sail panel in my case.

Also try putting some kind of soft padding where the rear seat latches onto the fold over hooks. Metal on metal contact there, prone to squeak.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Try taking off the passenger side that covers the spare to make sure it isn't something in there. With the spare, the removable cover, etc. There is TONS of stuff on that side that can squeak on you.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found my problem! After work today, as I was driving (with that damn squeek in my ear) I thought about this thread lol. I reached behind with my right hand and pushed on the rear seat back, the squeek stopped. Let go of the rear seat and it starts again, so it's in the latch on the driver's side rear seat thats squeeking, hope this helps to the OP. Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Yea I did the same thing haha. After lubing the hatch struts like Formula said, the squeak was still there. So after I finished installing my LMC headlights, I took my car out to see how they were. As you did LaBLKv6Z, I pushed on the back seat a couple times and every time I did, the squeaking stopped. So it looks like I'm going to be finding some sort of padding to throw in between the latch. Both sides just to make sure the passenger side doesn't start squeaking. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Launching!

ahhhh hahahaha i love it..

i'm sorry, just thought this thread was funny. i remeber reading a thread once "you know you drive and f-body when" and they talk about the whole squeeking thing. hope you fix it
Old 12-12-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

U push the back seat in while u drive ? dam I need my hand a little longer ^^
Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Nice I have the same issue..
Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Two things that have a problem with squeeking. A. the the panels right behind the front seats that have the speakers. OR B. the jack/spare tire in the back of the car.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
U push the back seat in while u drive ? dam I need my hand a little longer ^^
He probably has monkey arms that are just flip'n long. I used to call my friend a "Knuckle Dragger" for having the same long *** arms!

I had this issue for awhile. It turned out to be the spare tire assembly. Good times!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yeah, I'm 5'11", so I have my seat as far back as possible too.

Quick Reply: Stop the squeaking - SOLVED!