General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NEED HELP WITH BRAKES... All caliper pins seized!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP WITH BRAKES... All caliper pins seized!!!!!

As title says, went to change the rotors and pads the other day and all caliper bracket pins are seized. Wouldn't be a big deal, but they came out a little I guess and now are staggered and can't get calipers back on. Main question is, does anybody have the diameter of the pins? I'm really trying to save some money by just drilling/millling out the old seized pins, but I don't want to drill to big of a hole where the pins would no longer have that suction bond. What size drill bits should I use??

Thanks, just dont feel like paying 130 for 4 new brackets
Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure if i understand completely, but the pins inside the caliper are sticking out and the caliper + brake pad wont fit the rotor right?? Im not sure what size they are, but did you make sure your e-brake is not on?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by augie1209
As title says, went to change the rotors and pads the other day and all caliper bracket pins are seized. Wouldn't be a big deal, but they came out a little I guess and now are staggered and can't get calipers back on. Main question is, does anybody have the diameter of the pins? I'm really trying to save some money by just drilling/millling out the old seized pins, but I don't want to drill to big of a hole where the pins would no longer have that suction bond. What size drill bits should I use??

Thanks, just dont feel like paying 130 for 4 new brackets
Put the bolt back in the pin all the way, then use a wrench and turn the pin till it breaks loose and comes out. Tap it with a hammer till it spins. I think if you drill the bracket holes you'll ruin them. I just replaced pins and those suckers are a very tight fit as is......

Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah one of the pins was out a bit further than the other and caliper wouldnt slip back over the rotor because it was running into the pin sticking out... i dont know why i didn't think about just using the bolt and tightening all the way, i guess i wasn't thinking it was the slip in pins and that it would stop moving once the outside bolt was tightened all the way... i'll give it a try tomorrow, already starting drilling through one tho, but havent gotten all the way through the outside of the pin yet so hopefully i can salvage that bracket... thanks guys
Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by augie1209
yeah one of the pins was out a bit further than the other and caliper wouldnt slip back over the rotor because it was running into the pin sticking out... i dont know why i didn't think about just using the bolt and tightening all the way, i guess i wasn't thinking it was the slip in pins and that it would stop moving once the outside bolt was tightened all the way... i'll give it a try tomorrow, already starting drilling through one tho, but havent gotten all the way through the outside of the pin yet so hopefully i can salvage that bracket... thanks guys
Yea...then just buy a new pin set and boot set. New bolts were included with the pins.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

update on the brakes, i guess the rear bracket pins were great, they slid right out and i re-greased um and through on pads and rotors. However, both fronts were seized and i tried moved the pin by tightening the bolt all the way and it just broke the bolt right off. So again, any1 any idea on the size bit i should use to mill these things out?? I'm trying to not have to buy new front brackets, but if worse comes to worse I guess I'll have to.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

just buy the new brackets and save your self the headache
Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Very easy to remove the frozen pins, heat the brackets with a heat gun or propane torch until warm. Spray pins with Pb Blaster and let sit for a few mins, then with the bolts installed in the pins tap with a hammer on the ends of the bolts and turn them. I've removed many pins this way.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I shoulda thot of the torch b4 breaking off the end of the pin lol, o well I got the idea off youtube with a dude on his f150 I believe it was. I'm up to a 5/16s bit now and thrs just a little bit of the pin metal left in the slot. I'm gnna go pick up a set of new pins and just stop drilling once thrs a tight fit on the pin. Hopefully I can salvage these things cuz just realized I prlly gtta change a tensionor pully and maybe even a belt or two
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

My pins were stuck as well, took em to a shop, had them heat it with a torch and they came out, all in 10 minutes.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
just buy the new brackets and save your self the headache
Yup, I saved one pin but the other snapped and got stuck inside the bracket. I ended up just picking up a Caliper Bracket at Autozone, oddly enough they don't sell their Calipers and Brackets together.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH BRAKES... All caliper pins seized!!!!!