General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulley gone bad? not sure

Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley gone bad? not sure

Ok, heres how it first started. My belt was squeaking very loud. I replaced it and it was fine. Old belt was cracked like hell.

Yesterday I popped my hood and the belt was half way off all the pulleys. I took it to Autozone and the guy said the main crank pulley is bad. When I look at the pulley it does look like it's wobbling a tad bit, but I thought that was movement from the motor.

And another balancer/pulley is wobbling too, its a bigger one in diameter above the alternator, not sure on the part name of that one.

So I figure if i have to get a new pulley to just go with the SLP since it has the higher walls for belt slippage.

Any input would be great! Thanks.

This is a 98 LS1.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not see that pulley wobbling,,the one above the alternator is the power steering unit, NONE of them should wobble visually it is a problem. If you are going to buy a pulley you can go with an underdriven one, I have one car revvs quicker, but some of them are known to chunk belts off at HIGH RPMS. Mine has not done it though and I run the cheap ebay one.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I going to go with the SLP because of the high retention walls. As for the other one i mentioned, just go with an OEM from auto parts store?

Search this Thread