General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing oil (3k miles or 6mth??)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil (3k miles or 6mth??)

Hi guys I know this is a stupid question but I know the rule of thumb is to change your oil every 3 thousand miles but is it also 6 months? as far as whatever comes first?? Because I only put 6k miles per years and now that Im home from college its probably gonna be like 4k per year. Does it matter if I just change it every 3k, which would be prob like every 10 mths?? Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Every 3K is crap from the oil industry. Change it when it no longer passes light through the oil on the dipstick or annually since you dont drive it much.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Realisticly its 5-6k or 1 year depending on the conditions the engine is in. If its in a wet clmate I woooood change it every 6 months.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
Every 3K is crap from the oil industry. Change it when it no longer passes light through the oil on the dipstick or annually since you dont drive it much.
Originally Posted by O2Form
Realisticly its 5-6k or 1 year depending on the conditions the engine is in. If its in a wet clmate I woooood change it every 6 months.
I'm in Chicago, all I use is Royal Purple so your sayin I could do 5k and be 100% fine?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I'm in Chicago, all I use is Royal Purple so your sayin I could do 5k and be 100% fine?
Sure, you can go 4k-5k on a good synthetic oil and be fine, from what I've seen at least. However, I'm personally going to stay on the safe side and change mines every 3k miles.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

You can easily go 5k, I go 6k on regular Pennzoil and I've been doing it that way for 10 years. Never had a problem.

Changing oil every 3k is so old school its pathetic, you realize that is the oil change interval from the 60's?

GM even recommends every 7500 and trust me they want their engines to last.

I personally watch the color of my oil when I check it once a week. As long as it looks clear without any milky or grey look to it I run it to 5-6k without hesitation. Now in winter time when the temp stays below 45 condensation is a problem in ALL engines and running time is critical to clearing the oil of condensation every time the engine is run. It takes a good 1/2 hr running time in winter to get the oil up to temp and get the condensation out of the oil. This is assuming your pcv system is working well and connected and you are using the proper thermosate.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

if you are using good oil, and only putting 4k miles on it a year, then change it once a year.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clean oil is the ONLY recipe for a long lasting engine.........change it every 3,000 miles, period, or sooner. I have so many friends over the last 14 years with these LSx engines who fall for that bullshit of 6,000-8,000 mile changes with super-duper synthetic crap......spun bearings, crap oil pressure, **** compression, engine noise, etc.......I think the most mileage I've ever seen anyone get out of their built stroker engines before they see issues......maybe 60,000 miles. No way oil can stay clean past 3,000 miles.........I always have powder-like shavings on my oil pan plug, every oil change. The longer you leave oil in there the longer those shavings get circulated.

I've been changing mine every 3,000 miles (or less) and I have 160,000+ miles and not a hint of an issue internally.

Its too cheap not to do it every 3,000......non-synthetic cheap Castrol GTX oil changes are $15.00-$18.00 with Purolator filter.

TIME-WISE....I wouldn't leave oil in my engine for more than 3-4 months....again...too cheap to leave it sit in there any longer.

But everyone has their opinions......I like real life proof in what works and what doesn't. Not what manufacturers tell CUSTOMERS.......

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I have three other cars with over 200K. Use regular oil and changed by look of the oil which usually ended up being 5-6K. So there's your proof. But some still believe in the tooth fairy, santa clause, and changing oil every 3K or your engine will blow. If your changing your filter that often your doing your engine no good either. A slightly dirty filter actually filters out more than a brand new one. But hey, not everyone believes the engineers that actually build and test these engines. But ultimately everyone does what makes them feel better and helps them sleep at night. You need to do the same.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
I have three other cars with over 200K. Use regular oil and changed by look of the oil which usually ended up being 5-6K. So there's your proof. But some still believe in the tooth fairy, santa clause, and changing oil every 3K or your engine will blow. If your changing your filter that often your doing your engine no good either. A slightly dirty filter actually filters out more than a brand new one. But hey, not everyone believes the engineers that actually build and test these engines. But ultimately everyone does what makes them feel better and helps them sleep at night. You need to do the same.
Yea, everyone has 10 cars that have 1 million miles to support their argument. Internet.

You get 160,000+ with a fully built 427ci stroker at ~500 RWHP...then you can come talking. That will be proof. Dozens of people try that 6,000 mile change bullshit with BUILT engines....doesn't work. Stock engines, factory internals...they should run forever...who cares about them, they better go 200K or you suck at taking care of it.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Banned

ALL my cars go 200k without oil related problems. You don't know what you are talking about.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
.., Dozens of people try that 6,000 mile change bullshit with BUILT engines....doesn't work. Stock engines, factory internals...they should run forever...who cares about them, they better go 200K or you suck at taking care of it.

I'll agree with your assessment that BUILT engines may require a different approach. My point was not for the OP to change every 6k, but to change when the oil needs it, which shouldnt be set by at a low mileage (3k) without a reason(built engine that's ridden hard put away wet, for example). I don't think he has you engine type accorded to posted info, so probably doesn't need to follow your stricker tolerances for oil changes. My recommendation was for the OP's situation.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by O2Form
You can easily go 5k, I go 6k on regular Pennzoil and I've been doing it that way for 10 years. Never had a problem.

Changing oil every 3k is so old school its pathetic, you realize that is the oil change interval from the 60's?

GM even recommends every 7500 and trust me they want their engines to last.

I personally watch the color of my oil when I check it once a week. As long as it looks clear without any milky or grey look to it I run it to 5-6k without hesitation. Now in winter time when the temp stays below 45 condensation is a problem in ALL engines and running time is critical to clearing the oil of condensation every time the engine is run. It takes a good 1/2 hr running time in winter to get the oil up to temp and get the condensation out of the oil. This is assuming your pcv system is working well and connected and you are using the proper thermosate.
Yeah in the winter I will generally start my car once a week in the garage and let it run for about ten minutes and Ill rev it a little to about 2-3k. Should I let it run for more then 10 min huh?

And thanks everyone for your feedback, it is all much appreciated!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 98 Z28 has 279,000 miles on it now and I use Mobil1. I change it every 10,000 miles.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol.. Wish I had enough money to run synthetic amd change it 4k miles before it needed it.

Run conventional and change every 3k or run synthetic and change it every 5-7 depending on much you drive it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1121
My 98 Z28 has 279,000 miles on it now and I use Mobil1. I change it every 10,000 miles.
Originally Posted by lemons12
Lol.. Wish I had enough money to run synthetic amd change it 4k miles before it needed it.

Run conventional and change every 3k or run synthetic and change it every 5-7 depending on much you drive it.
I guess Ill up it to 5k, thanks guys
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a stock engine, 5k mi or 2 yrs, whichever comes first.

No kidding.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Yeah in the winter I will generally start my car once a week in the garage and let it run for about ten minutes and Ill rev it a little to about 2-3k. Should I let it run for more then 10 min huh?

And thanks everyone for your feedback, it is all much appreciated!
If it's in storage over the winter, there's no reason to start it up and just let it run. Odds are you're still not getting it up to the proper temperature (especially at 10 minutes) and cooking off the condensation.

Put on a trickle charger on occasion and put some Stabil in the fuel before storage. Also, if you only change your oil once a year or whatever, I would change it right before storage so it's not sitting for months with **** in the engine. IMO.

I change oil in the fall before storage, and then again in the spring after about 3k miles on it (especially being it's about 6-7 months old at the time), then it usually has about 5k or so on the fresh oil when I put it away in the fall.

If you change it more often than needed, no sweat, if nothing else you'll just have cleaner/fresher oil. No big deal. Overkill is much better than not doing enough when it comes to changing the most vital fluid to your engine.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Launching!

QSUD once a year.