General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Driver's Side Rattle Located

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rear Driver's Side Rattle Located

For anyone having that irritating "rocks in a can" noise coming from the rear driver's side of the car, check your Panhard Bar. I had the one that had the steel ball ends and found out they were causing the metal to metal irritating noise. Took off the bar, drove it, and the noise was totally GONE! Going to order a new Panhard Bar with the Poly bushings on both ends. Hope this helps out some of you with the same noise.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

poly bushings are definitely not recommended for moving suspension parts. it's been shown on here numerous times a suspension piece cracking or breaking due to not being able to move freely because of a poly bushing.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 AM

I'll take my chances with the Poly bushings. Not going to put up with that rattling noise. Either way, I know where the damn noise was coming from and can fix the issue.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caelynne67
For anyone having that irritating "rocks in a can" noise coming from the rear driver's side of the car, check your Panhard Bar. I had the one that had the steel ball ends and found out they were causing the metal to metal irritating noise. Took off the bar, drove it, and the noise was totally GONE! Going to order a new Panhard Bar with the Poly bushings on both ends. Hope this helps out some of you with the same noise.
You drove your car with the panhard bar removed?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Yeh, I had to know for sure if that was the problem. It wasn't too far; I have terrible roads in my area, but no rattles with the bar off, so I at least isolated the rattle. I'll be picking up a new PHB tomorrow morning.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

gotta go look into that, my car makes some damn annoying sounds sometimes. thanks for the tip!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

This actually might be my problem as well, going to check it out.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Let me know what you guys find on your cars. I took out that PHB, cleaned it, repacked it with new grease and re-installed it. It was beautiful for about 30 miles of driving and then the damn noise came rattling back. Going to order a new bar/bolts tomorrow with the poly bushings instead of the steel bushing ends. Oh, and yes, I adjusted the bar after the full weight of the car was on it.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Three weeks gone by and no more rattles from my rear driver's side. After installing my "Poly" Pan Hard Bar, all is quiet. People may not like using Poly bushings, but I'll take it over that annoying rattling any day of the week. If I was racing the car like some people choose to do, that would be a different story.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

got the same problem
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 AM

Two months now with my new Poly Panhard Bar and all is still quiet. No torque issues with the pushing either. I can enjoy my ride now with or without the radio on.