General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how do i get my alternator off my car? lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default how do i get my alternator off my car? lol

i have a 98 z28......i loosened the 13mm bolt in the back,and i also took off the two 15 mm long bolts in the front......removed the belt, and my alt still seems like its in there pretty good......how do i get this thing off my car?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hit it with the palm of your hand or a rubber mallet to break it loose. Once it does, its free. Then tumble it forward and over the sway bar against the fan shroud and drop it down. Just tumble it around till you find the sweet spot and it'll fall out.

***MAKE SURE you disconnect the small excitor wire plug on top BEFORE you start to take the alternator free of its mounts....you don;'t want to break that little pain in the *** wire.....lol****

Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is three bolts in the front and you take the whole bracket out of the car. The pry alternator out bracket and reverse the order to install
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concur with LS6427. I've had to pull mine a couple of times. After you pull the bolts, you have to hit it or pry it loose.

The first time, I re-installed everything exactly has it was. The second time, I didn't re-use the bolt on the back of the alternator. So far, no problems.

As he notes, you have to be careful of the wire connected to the top. I actually had this pigtail go bad and had to replace it once.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X3 on unplugging the exciter wire plug before you break the alternator loose...buying a new plug and resoldering it isn't the best way to spend your afternoon.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

where is the third bolt? like i said i did remove 3 bolts, 1 13 mm on the back near the positive cable, and 2 15mms on the front.....im telling you this thing was still solid....and i didnt see where the plug is, any tips on finding it?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
where is the third bolt? like i said i did remove 3 bolts, 1 13 mm on the back near the positive cable, and 2 15mms on the front.....im telling you this thing was still solid....and i didnt see where the plug is, any tips on finding it?
You took the 3 bolts out....now break it loose. If you have a new alternator get a metal hammer and smack the **** out of it.

That plug can be reached and seen from the top. You should be able to reach down there and unplug it. Or, break the alternator free and then slowly turn it till you can reach it to unplug it.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did mine and agree with all about prying it out once you get the main wire (battery I think), two front bolts and one rear bolt out, while leaving the actual bracket in the car. Once I got it loose I had access to that little wire ont he top - be real careful with that, as others had said. I found it best for re-install, since the bracket/alternator is kind of tight, to get the alternator back in from above the bracket rather than trying to push it up into the bracket.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSean
There is three bolts in the front and you take the whole bracket out of the car. The pry alternator out bracket and reverse the order to install
I always leave the braket in place, and just wiggle the alternator out like the others' have described.

I don't see any reasonable way of accessing the exciter wire while the alternator is still in place. I've always unplugged this wire after the alternator is loose in the braket and able to be twisted down some. I don't have body parts small enough to reach that plug from the top.