General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What Causes the ABS INOP Light To Go On?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Causes the ABS INOP Light To Go On?

My ABS INOP light has been on for months. I think it came on during one of the last few winters and hasn't gone off since. Does this mean my ABS isn't functioning? What can cause this and how can I fix it????

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, it wont work if the light is on. if you dont like abs, you dont have to do anything. typical causes are a front hub going bad or pinched/burned wires at the back. another thing is a bad power or ground. need a real scan tool to pull abs codes iirc. 50 buck code grabber wont do the trick here.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your rear wheel speed sensors too. Dirty sensors can mess with the recultor wheel and make your car think it has a problem. If it's a front wheel sensor issue you'll have to replace the entire hub. Worst case scenario is your ABS module is going out...
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The actual light on means that an ABS code has been set. This is bad. As slowpoke pointed out, you'll need to get a hold of a premium scanner to read the codes. Once you have that, the problem should be easy to figure out.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by myk
Check your rear wheel speed sensors too. Dirty sensors can mess with the recultor wheel and make your car think it has a problem. If it's a front wheel sensor issue you'll have to replace the entire hub. Worst case scenario is your ABS module is going out...
Is there a diagram or pic where I can figure out just what these sensors look like so I know what I'm inspecting?

Originally Posted by wssix99
The actual light on means that an ABS code has been set. This is bad. As slowpoke pointed out, you'll need to get a hold of a premium scanner to read the codes. Once you have that, the problem should be easy to figure out.
So this light going off can actually mean multiple codes have been tripped?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
Is there a diagram or pic where I can figure out just what these sensors look like so I know what I'm inspecting?
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/html/tss_tech_esi.jsp

3 day subscription. $20.00 lol
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to update or add a signature letting us know what car/mods you have as there is a big difference in the way codes are scanned for ABS from the OBD1 to OBDII and LT1 to LS1 series. Also in the way the ABS system is setup from a 3 channel to 4 channel. More information is needed.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

I had this happen on my '95 Camaro. From what I recall it was a bad seal on an abs sensor. Water was getting inside the sensor and causing a short. Replaced the sensor and all was good.

All of the work was done at my local Chevy stealership...which is no longer in business...so I can't really help you out with any repair tips.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Bingo - but odds are the code(s) will tell you exactly where the problem is. Check the codes before you check the sensors. The problem can have a number of different causes.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was just the ground, it was really loose, I tightened it and now it's perfect
Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Dont guess, plug it into a scanner and check the ABS code.. it will most likely be a speed sensor..
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Can someone post a pic of the rear speed sensor location and detailed removal instructions . The car im takeing it out of is 98z28 without traction control . Having A problem with abs inop and brake light . About once a month they will both shut off for like 5 minutes already changed font rotors and pads rear pads and front driverside calliper cause I needed it . After I changed front rotors and pads lights went off for like a month now same thing both back on. Hoping maybe its rear speed sensor . I know I should scan it but dont have the bucks for exspensive abs scanner . Car seems to stop pretty good. Any insight to this issue is appreciated .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Causes the ABS INOP Light To Go On?