LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   Header Wrap (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1480857-header-wrap.html)

LT1FirebirdSLP 10-27-2011 10:00 AM

Header Wrap

1) Is header wrap a good option for reducing under the hood temperatures when buying ceramic coated jobs are completely out of the question?

If so, how does this stuff stack up?
http://cableorganizer.com/insultherm-header-wrap/

Hernadis 10-27-2011 10:09 AM

It definitely helps prevent burns when you are working on a hot engine. It'll look nice at first but won't last forever especially on the bottom if you're scraping. Also don't overlap it too much or it will overheat in that area and cause the metal to bubble out to the point where it could blow out.

LT1FirebirdSLP 10-27-2011 10:14 AM

Well then I will follow up with this. My ultimate goal is to prevent the classic burning of wires. I bought fiberglass sleeves for the spark plug boots. But I really wanted to just prevent any burning of my factory harness. Anywhere I can cut down on heat sounds like a good idea. I bought some thermal tape for where things get close to the headers but trying to figure out if wrapping the headers are justified.

great421 10-27-2011 09:56 PM

Remember, additional retained heat (on the surface of the headers) causes an acceleration in the reaction of the metal and O2 in the air leading to premature rusting.

So, if you don't coat the headers, painting them with that rust inhibiting paint (akin to POR15) in a rattle-can will really help stave off rust.

DAVE00 10-28-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by great421 (Post 15558326)
Remember, additional retained heat (on the surface of the headers) causes an acceleration in the reaction of the metal and O2 in the air leading to premature rusting.

So, if you don't coat the headers, painting them with that rust inhibiting paint (akin to POR15) in a rattle-can will really help stave off rust.

+1 - header wrap will accelerate rusting of your headers. Get some ceramic coated headers and route the wires away from them with Zip ties or looms and you're good to go.

LT1FirebirdSLP 10-29-2011 09:35 AM

That's some awesome advice. Sure wish I asked this question prior to installing the headers and motor in my car. Well, still glad I asked.

camaroboy14 11-01-2011 12:47 PM

man thats crazy i would have never thought header wrap would be a lil bad for the headers ..

dr_whigham 11-02-2011 03:28 AM

What about stainless headers? Is it ok to do then?

DAVE00 11-02-2011 06:36 AM

No - stainless is still steel and will rust when accelerated. Plus why would you want to cover up nice looking stainless headers?

dr_whigham 11-02-2011 05:26 PM

^^ True.... Just trying to cut down on temp.

I never could get on the coated bandwagon. (Still covers beauty) Jesus... Maybe I'm getting old

I've always looked at it as wrapped headers mean business, lol

Metal Muscle 11-05-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00 (Post 15576402)
No - stainless is still steel and will rust when accelerated. Plus why would you want to cover up nice looking stainless headers?

For performance? I'm more interested at someone looking at my taillights than my engine.

DAVE00 11-07-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle (Post 15588630)
For performance? I'm more interested at someone looking at my taillights than my engine.

Some of us like to keep our engine bay looking good and then smoke'em on the way home. There is ZERO performance difference from a set of ceramic coated headers to a set of wrapped headers.

Metal Muscle 11-07-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00 (Post 15594339)
Some of us like to keep our engine bay looking good and then smoke'em on the way home. There is ZERO performance difference from a set of ceramic coated headers to a set of wrapped headers.

I don't think anyone sells stainless headers coated. And getting them done seems like a hassle and expensive.

gpr 11-07-2011 03:56 PM

I was all about the header wrap simply to cut down on heat in the engine bay and to not melt wires that were routed close to them... I was putting on new kooks SS headers and i spent 4 hours wrapping them. man they looked nice and it would have lasted...... EXCEPT for i could not get the driver side header in with the wrap. no matter what i did or tried it would not fit and i ended up taking it off and it slide right in.

so if you do wrap them be aware install is going to suck, and possibly tear the wrap up a bit.