General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window roller...do they "wear out"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window roller...do they "wear out"?

Ive searched for this and cant seem to nail it down.

My drivers side window seems to "pop" itself out of the rear vertical track EVERY TIME i roll it up. Now ive been trying to fix many problems in this door, and to start with it has a massive sag problem from cracking at the lower hinge. To the best of my knowledge, ive replaced everything thats broken that i could possibly find - the motor was slow, replaced. The forward track at the mirror was worn out, replaced that. The upper felt "stops" were missing, replaced those. Because of the sag, the window cannot meet the upper edge of the door weatherstrip, but.....i feel like you should be able to roll your windows up with the door open, so im not sure why that should be a problem. The metal post that engages the roller itself is actually not broken - i can pop it back into place, and the window will work normally IF im careful to not roll it up all the way.

So my question is......can that roller basically just "wear out"? Is it possible that its just to weak to hold onto the post? When the window hits top of travel, the door bulges ever so slightly, the metal post pops out and the window falls "inward", no matter how i adjust it.

Or is there some other thing i could be missing?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The roller has a plastic socket joint to hold on to the post, so it's probably craked f it keeps popping off. Or the window could be binding up with all the adjustments that have been made.

BTW - a sagging door should make no difference to the window. When the door is shut the latch pulls it up in to the proper position.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, thats exactly the kind of confirm/deny i was looking for!

Ive gone through the adjustment writeup a couple times after replacing the parts id mentioned, and in theory the window is setup properly, so im gonna go with "i need a new plastic window roller".

Ive read that these are not available anymore as a separate part..... is there some kind of generic replacement that anyone has found? I recall seeing someone say something about getting the b-body roller to work.....

Or will i wind up junkyarding a whole new window glass?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by acslam
Ive read that these are not available anymore as a separate part.....
You read correctly. I haven't seen any equivalent replacement.

Do the new felt pads touch the glass all the time? They should only touch as the window gets near the top. If they are in constant contact, that could be what is pressing the roller out.

Do you have a picture of the glass with the window shut? Did you check the regulator holes in the composite door skin? If the window doesn't shut straight, you may still have alignment issues.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Ok so I tried pressing on some generic rollers i found in my parts bin. While they were the right thickness, they were slightly smaller in diameter than the factory piece. However, for about a day the roller i used held onto the ball and didnt let go - it proved the theory, that a new plastic roller would have the strength to not get popped off of the ball it rides on. Unfortunately due to it being the wrong roller it eventually came off, and im almost at square one. At least i have a proven solution now, but i will need to locate a suitable replacement for the factory roller. If i come across something i will certainly post it here.