General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

lo beams turn off while cranking the car, then come back on after start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default lo beams turn off while cranking the car, then come back on after start

What is this a sign of?

I still have auto headlights on feature at dark. When I turn the key, the auto lights come on, turn off while I crank and come back on after the car is on.

Something with battery? ALT?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be an auto, yes that is normal. My `99 SS A4 did that (no parking brake on), my dad's Z71, my mom's Grand Am, and my Z71 all do it as well. My `02 is a M6 so it usually has the brake on at start up which disables the daytime and auto lights.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Headlights suck a lot of power from the system. You want them off when cranking so max power goes to the starter.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are expecting you to have your parking brake set when you park... so the lights would be off when you start it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its amazing how few people use their parking brake. Its just force of habit for me. But only on my own vehicles....
Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Its amazing how few people use their parking brake. Its just force of habit for me. But only on my own vehicles....
Not that anyone cares, but it is illegal to park a car in Texas without the parking brake being set.

But as for the Camaros, their auto lamps were designed without a lot of common sense anyway. They shouldn't auto on before the motor is running. Just something they didn't put much thought into.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Not that anyone cares, but it is illegal to park a car in Texas without the parking brake being set.

But as for the Camaros, their auto lamps were designed without a lot of common sense anyway. They shouldn't auto on before the motor is running. Just something they didn't put much thought into.
They probably thought about it but it would make things more expensive. (You'd have to have another feedback circuit to cut-out the automatic feature in that circumstance.)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:22 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless I'm missing something here, the lights shouldn't auto-on if the parking brake is set. At least, that's how it is in my '97Z.

Edit: my auto-on is malfunctioning so every once in a while the lights come on as I start the engine, regardless of whether the parking brake is on or not...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by myk
Unless I'm missing something here, the lights shouldn't auto-on if the parking brake is set. At least, that's how it is in my '97Z.

Edit: my auto-on is malfunctioning so every once in a while the lights come on as I start the engine, regardless of whether the parking brake is on or not...
Myk - are you sure? Could your e-brake contact switch be dirty and not sensing when your brake is on? They collect crap really easily. I recently cleaned mine and that all the equipment that senses that switch is working a lot better now.