LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   Interior CLUNK from rear??!!! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1488996-interior-clunk-rear.html)

juSStin4171 11-22-2011 03:34 PM

Interior CLUNK from rear??!!!

01 Camaro SS

I've checked every nut, bolt, hose, wire, caliper, shock, lug nut, line etc... from underneath the car. It's all tight.

HOWEVER, when I drive over a sudden bump or something in the road it sounds as though the car has something terribly wrong. The best description would be a sound like the top of a rear shock or mount is bad. It's a very solid but muffled metallic CLUNK. I've added new foam padding to the plastic locks for the spare tire compartment, I've pulled the carpet away from the rear bulkhead and taped the wires to the metal, checked the speakers, there is no spare or jack in the car, checked the brake lights, seat belts and antenna. I've checked the hatch supports and the license plate. WTF?!!! There's nothing else that I can think of to check!

I hate clunks, rattles and squeeks even when they're small (t-top rattles) this one is bad! PLEASE for the love of all things holy help me!!!

NewYork Art 11-22-2011 05:08 PM

Your not alone 07 Monte the same thing your discribing. sometimes on excelleration or over a bump sounds like top of rear drivers shock mount. or the sway bar . I cant find it.

O2Form 11-22-2011 05:13 PM

All my ls1 fbodys do it, I believe it may be the vapor recovery system mounted above the fuel tank.

jam01 11-22-2011 08:08 PM

rear sway bar end links or fronts, trans mount and or torque arm mount.

atrain59 11-22-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jam01 (Post 15652398)
rear sway bar end links or fronts, trans mount and or torque arm mount.

This i had the same problem and greased up all my bushings and it stopped. I was surprised as it sounded like something was really wrong and it ended up just being the bushings. I would try that and see if it helps any

juSStin4171 11-22-2011 08:29 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and report back by this weekend.

MR01Z28 11-22-2011 08:32 PM

Mine was the right rear control arm bushing

mjs1012 11-23-2011 04:46 AM

Subscribed....I started having the same noise if I hit a bump or pot hole

juSStin4171 11-24-2011 07:53 PM

I bought some new tubular control arms with Poly bushings. That should do it! I'll post up when they get here and I put them on the car. BTW thanks Founders Performance for the great price!

rabbit320 11-28-2011 12:45 PM

id check the suspension sections too, there was a thread on there fairly recently for a rattle / clunk in the rear. also check your hatch lock, i had to adjust mine lower, or adjust the side rubber stoppers @ the far rear corners of the hatch first... or something in your spare tire well? have a friend ride in the back n listen for which side/area its coming from

Latch 11-28-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by juSStin4171 (Post 15658778)
I bought some new tubular control arms with Poly bushings. That should do it! I'll post up when they get here and I put them on the car. BTW thanks Founders Performance for the great price!

I hate to say this but LCAs with polyurethane bushings are only going to make things worse. You should have just replaced your original bushings with brand new rubber ones.

juSStin4171 11-28-2011 02:13 PM

Thanks for the advice but I wanted tubular LCA's anyway. I guess it's just part of having an f-body... :bang:

Latch 11-28-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by juSStin4171 (Post 15670807)
Thanks for the advice but I wanted tubular LCA's anyway. I guess it's just part of having an f-body... :bang:

BMR sells tubular LCAs with rubber bushings, but they're not listed on their website. Hands down the best material for LCA bushings for someone who doesn't want noise or harshness is good old rubber. I don't know why all these suspension companies push polyurethane instead of rubber when it comes to LCAs.

k_garretson23 11-29-2011 02:12 PM

Is your spare tire wobbling around? I had the same problem and it was the rim of the spare hitting the inside of the trunk.

juSStin4171 11-29-2011 04:00 PM

I don't have a spare in the car, or the jack (weight reduction :rotflmao: )

I've been listening closely and it sounds more like what 02FORM said... sound's like somethings rattling around on top of the tank :bang:

mjs1012 11-30-2011 08:35 PM

I checked mine yesterday and my LCAs were a little loose. I tightened them up and now good to go.

juSStin4171 11-30-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by mjs1012 (Post 15680186)
I checked mine yesterday and my LCAs were a little loose. I tightened them up and now good to go.

That's encouraging! I'm puttin' mine on the lift tomorrow... My new LCA's shipped this morning from Cali, so they should be here (Florida) by Saturday. I really hope that's the fix. A local muffler shop welded my exhaust together except for one clamp just behind the safety loop, so dropping the tank would be a bit involved...

juSStin4171 12-02-2011 08:22 AM

Well... I'm an idiot. I swear I checked every nut and bolt.
A fellow member of our local car club who I'm sure is on here somewhere, works in a repair shop. We put the car on the lift this morning and looked at a few things after a short test drive.

As it turns out, the bolts for the tubular pan hard rod were not tight. Now I feel stupid. :gtfo:

Word to the wise, if you have a clunk, rattle, squeek, shimmy or anything else BE SURE you check all of the basics before you ask for help! :bang:

Good news, the car is as tight as can be again. It even tracks a little better now since the rear end is secured.