General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what does this do behind the steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does this do behind the steering wheel??

Hey there, I've taken my steering wheel off to use an aftermarket steering wheel with a horn button. Here is a picture for clarity (not my picture, I'm just borrowing this one). the circular thing with the word Notice in blue...what does that do? Mine is cracked. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails what does this do behind the steering wheel??-dscn1229g.jpg  
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

That is the clock spring. It transmits power for both the horn and the SRS (air bag) to the air bag/horn assembly. This is critical for proper air bag function.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like it controls you steering wheel radio controls also.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Like 94Firehawk161 pointed out, its a clockspring. It just allows the electrical connections to be transmitted to the steering wheel and airbag through the turning part of the steering wheel. (Otherwise, you'd have a bunch of cables getting wrapped and tangled around the steering shaft.) The horn wires use the same principle with a strip of metal attached to the turn signal cam.

The design is evolutionary. The GM steering column has changed very little in the past 40 years. The orignial horn mechanism and cam are still there from the good 'ol days and GM just added the clockspring on top of that for airbags and steering wheel controls, when they came along. (That's why it looks like clutter.) If one were re-designing the column completely, all of those would be wrapped in to one package.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

There was a guy here looking to buy one of those with the radio controls last week. If you are not wanting it you might put it up for sale in the parts section.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id def be careful on moving positions of that clockspring, try to keep it in one postion, you can ruin up the insides of it and it will not function correctly if turned more revolutions one way or the other then its suppost to
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help. I will be using an aftermarket steering wheel that has a horn button. Looks like I'll have to buy a new clock springs as mine is cracked. Thanks for the help everyone and let me know if you have anymore input. Also, I am selling the steering wheel with the airbag intact in anyone's interested. just pm me.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Save the manuals!

If you are only keeping the horn, you shouldn't need the clock spring at all. Once you take the clock spring out, you'll see that the horn mechanism is independent and held in place by a lock plate.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Ok so I removed that clockspring that was cracked. And here is what I got left (see pic) Now the wires for the airbag were cut already and it looks like the two wires coming from that hole at 12 o' clock were removed. I'm guessing these where my horn wires?

Stupid me I didn't check to see if the horn was functional before I removed everything. I bought the car wrecked at an auction so I've dissassembled alot of things and unfortunately didn't check the horn.

So assuming this is where the horn wires were, will I have to remove that small retaining clip and remove the yellow donut shaped piece there to see if the wires are behind it?? Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails what does this do behind the steering wheel??-steeringcolumn.jpg  
Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

You didn't remove the clock spring. You broke it. The horn connector is still there - you broke that too.

You need to remove the lock ring currently at the top of your shaft. That will allow you to remove the yellow piece, which is the last of your clock spring.

Under that, you'll get the full lock plate exposed. Its the black disk with the "fingers" around the side that catches on to the steering wheel lock pin. There is another lock ring in place, which you'll need a lock plate compressor tool to remove. Underneath the plate is the turn signal cam, that also has the horn connection on it. (It looks like you broke the connector part when you took out the horn wire.)

This thread has instructions for all of this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1382932-how-steering-column-repair.html

Last edited by wssix99; 11-25-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: replaced link with the ls1tech domain in it.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
You didn't remove the clock spring. You broke it. The horn connector is still there - you broke that too.

This thread has instructions for all of this: http://m.modernhemi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382932

Now That's Funny! lmao.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Just noticed the column shell in the picture. Did someone try to crack the column?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Hey there wssix99....thanks for your reply. Yes....someone did try to crack the column it seems. THis was all done before I took possession of the car. So, I cannot take blame for cracking the clock spring. This is why I don't know what wires are what b/c when I took off the steering wheel...this is what I had (see pic above) Wires were cut and apparently wires are missing.

I will check out the instructions on the link that you provided. THank you.

Last edited by notnilc20; 11-25-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by notnilc20
Yes....someone did try to crack the column it seems.
Ugh - That's awful. You'll probably find more damage as you dig down further in the column. (Like the clock spring being cracked to the point where you could remove half of it.) It looks like the hazard light button is gone also, which could mean other collateral damage.

There is a .pdf linked in the thread I referred you to that shows the full instructions on how to re-build a GM column if you ever get motivated to do that and/or replace the upper shroud that was cracked.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Hey there wssix99....thanks for your reply. Yes....someone did try to crack the column it seems. THis was all done before I took possession of the car. So, I cannot take blame for cracking the clock spring. This is why I don't know what wires are what b/c when I took off the steering wheel...this is what I had (see pic above) Wires were cut and apparently wires are missing.

I will check out the instructions on the link that you provided. THank you.
Ya know that they sell entire columns pretty cheap on Ebay. I switched mine out in about 30 minutes.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Ugh - That's awful. You'll probably find more damage as you dig down further in the column. (Like the clock spring being cracked to the point where you could remove half of it.) It looks like the hazard light button is gone also, which could mean other collateral damage.

There is a .pdf linked in the thread I referred you to that shows the full instructions on how to re-build a GM column if you ever get motivated to do that and/or replace the upper shroud that was cracked.
haha....I didn't even realize the hazard light switch was gone. I bought this car at an auction and am in the process of fixing it up. It runs really good though and everything works (less the hazard light switch).

I would like to replace the plastic shroud column cover. May have to go to a junk yard and do some shopping. Is this column cover the same off a Camaro? Easier to find Camaros in junk yards than Firebirds for some reason.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Save the manuals!

haha....I didn't even realize the hazard light switch was gone. I bought this car at an auction and am in the process of fixing it up. It runs really good though and everything works (less the hazard light switch).

I would like to replace the plastic shroud column cover. May have to go to a junk yard and do some shopping. Is this column cover the same off a Camaro? Easier to find Camaros in junk yards than Firebirds for some reason.

The shroud should be the same, but they will come in different colors. You'll just need to match one to the interior color. (Looks like you'll need a black one.) I forget where the hazard switch attaches. Maybe the turn signal return assembly? Either way, you'll need a new one of those.

The rebuild procedures in the .pdf at the link above will guide you through the rebuild - which you will need to do in order to replace the shroud and broken hazard attachment. However; this is a major pain and is best done with the column out of the car and on a bench. (It also requires some specialized tools.)

As LS1121 pointed out, the path of least resistance and least cost (if you have to buy tools) is to get a whole new column and put it in. The only thing you'll have to look for is if the new column's clock spring has steering wheel controls if you need them.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Hey there again....ok here is a pic after I removed the lock plate and the white plastic piece with the thin metal disc on it.

I still can't locate where the horn wires are. I circled where I think the connections may have been before someone removed it. Now there are just a couple of prongs there and this strange button which I believe may be a switch for something (horn possibly) when it is pressed down.

I will probably go with a new steering column later but for now I want to do find the horn connections so I can use it with my new aftermarket steering wheel. Thanks for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails what does this do behind the steering wheel??-steeringcolumn03.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Save the manuals!

The white plastic piece is the turn signal cam and horn connector. You'll need a new one of those - can be had in the Dorman/Help! section of your local parts store.

The copper pin you circled is the horn wire contact. That contacts the metal disk on the back of the turn signal cam, which sends the signal through the horn connector on the cam. The red horn wire is attached the steering wheel and hooks in to the connector in the turn signal cam. (If you get a new cam, where the connector isn't broken, it will make more sense.) The wire attached to the wheel should have a plastic cylinder on the end of it with a pin on the side that engages the connector.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Ok, I think it's all making sense now. I will get a new turn signal cam hopefully tommorow if the weather permits. Bro....thanks alot for your good insight and information. Very helpful.

Quick Reply: what does this do behind the steering wheel??