General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!! I cant figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! I cant figure this out.

I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD its got the 6.0L V8 motor. The truck starts and runs great when its cold or has been sitting for a while. But when I drive it down the road a couple of miles the truck will die. all the lights stay on the truck just dies. I replaced the fuel pump thinking it was losing fuel pressure but it didnt work. The truck will start up fine after about 10 minutes of waiting and then you can do the same thing over again. 1 mile down the road its dead again. Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I'd say check the basics when it won't run. Pull a plug wire and make sure you have spark. See if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. One of those 2 has to be missing or some how the timing is messed up. If you have both spark and fuel it's probably loosing an input to the computer like the crank sensor.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Yeah im just curious as to how the truck runs perfectly fine then when warmed up it stops getting fuel or spark etc. any ideas why this would happen only when its warmed up?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Crank Sensor. It gets hot and gets faulty, seen it many times.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the Crank Shaft Position sensor.

Easy to change. If it doesn't fix it you can return it...just tell them it wouldn't fit, wrong sensor and you found the right one at another store.

Other than that.......I don't know what else can kill an engine after its running perfect.

This is why I'm afraid for my friend who put an LS6 into his plane and flys it all over the place......lol....friggin Crank Shaft sensor.......

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
+1 on the Crank Shaft Position sensor.

Easy to change. If it doesn't fix it you can return it...just tell them it wouldn't fit, wrong sensor and you found the right one at another store.

Other than that.......I don't know what else can kill an engine after its running perfect.

This is why I'm afraid for my friend who put an LS6 into his plane and flys it all over the place......lol....friggin Crank Shaft sensor.......

He better get good at changing it "on the fly"
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Or hope it glides well..lol.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
He better get good at changing it "on the fly"
He's working on a dual crankshaft and camshaft sensor......when one fails he gets a light and the other one keeps things running.

I met the guy in simulator school last month when we were all at recurrent training on our company jets. He was telling me about his plane. I posted it in the Hybrids section with a bunch of pics of the conversion. Cool plane with a beast of an engine now. Stock one had only 225 HP.

Sorry for the hijack..............

Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Nah no hijack at all ill try the crank sensor tomorrow and see what happens. I would have thought that sensor would throw on a CEL but I guess not? Ill let you guys know what happens the plane thing sounds pretty sweet. I know there is a company that builds replica spitfires with ls2;s i think in them pretty sweet planes for sure.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rodumslayer1
Nah no hijack at all ill try the crank sensor tomorrow and see what happens. I would have thought that sensor would throw on a CEL but I guess not? Ill let you guys know what happens the plane thing sounds pretty sweet. I know there is a company that builds replica spitfires with ls2;s i think in them pretty sweet planes for sure.
My SES light never came on when my Crank Shaft Position sensor failed......I would drive down the road normally and out of nowhere the engine would shut off. I would roll to a stop on the side of the road and crank and crank, no start. I would sit there pissed for a few minutes, then bam it would start and run perfect. Then I would go to my friends house and hang out for a couple hours, come out and, no start, just crank and crank. Then it would start and I would drive home normally.

Very weird ****. No codes, no SES light. These PCM's in some respects are idiot lights like in the 1970's. I took it to the dealership and they found it from trial and error, good luck it was under warranty still back then in 1999. The new sensor they put in has been fine for 13 years.

So not getting a light doesn't mean its not "on its way out".

Hope thats it for you because its a very easy fix.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
He's working on a dual crankshaft and camshaft sensor......when one fails he gets a light and the other one keeps things running.

I met the guy in simulator school last month when we were all at recurrent training on our company jets. He was telling me about his plane. I posted it in the Hybrids section with a bunch of pics of the conversion. Cool plane with a beast of an engine now. Stock one had only 225 HP.

Sorry for the hijack..............

Yeah I saw that. Sounds like a good/necessary idea. Get him to post up how he does it.

End Hijack
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Hey guys just wanted to stop in and say thanks. I replaced the CPS and the fuel filter as it was pretty plugged and I also messed with the ground connections as they were pretty bad but now with a new Crank Position Sensor(CPS) new fuel filter and better grounds the truck seems to be cured! Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned

Welcome.................