General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 WS6 Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 WS6 Oil leak

My trans Am has an annoying slow oil leak. It looks like its leaking near my front passenger side tire. I got under there but I can't seem to find the issue....Anyone else encounter this? please help.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The first thing I would check is to see if the oil filter is tight. I had a recent issue with one loosening up on me and a little pool of oil on the garage floor. I hand tighten them as much as I can when I change oil but I must have not got it tight enough the last time.

I put a wrench on it and gave it about a 1/4 turn and then went and got a better brand of filter and did another oil change.

Check the filter first.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Thank u sir. Oil filter is tight. Still a slow leak under the passenger side.

Originally Posted by ghardester
The first thing I would check is to see if the oil filter is tight. I had a recent issue with one loosening up on me and a little pool of oil on the garage floor. I hand tighten them as much as I can when I change oil but I must have not got it tight enough the last time.

I put a wrench on it and gave it about a 1/4 turn and then went and got a better brand of filter and did another oil change.

Check the filter first.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the valve covers? PCV hose? Oil pan gasket? Coming from the front cover?

How dirty is your engine? Maybe if you cleaned everything up with a degreaser it would be more obvious where the leak was coming from.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

A shop wanted to do it for $70(degrease). I can do it myself, right?

Originally Posted by loyolacub68

How dirty is your engine? Maybe if you cleaned everything up with a degreaser it would be more obvious where the leak was coming from.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't pay someone $70. Go to Autozone and buy a can of the Gunk Gel stuff and spray the whole engine bay with the can. Try to get in all the crevices. Cover the MAF, PCU, battery, and fuse box with a grocery bag. Then spray everything down with a hose. Just follow the instructions on the can. I'd never pay someone $70 to do that. The degreaser should run you about $4 to $6.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by loyolacub68

Maaaan, took it to a local mechanic, and he wanted to pull out my engine and replace the oil pan gasket and some other gasket for $2,200.00!?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Teching In

....and I notice my clutch makes a whining sound when I am engaging first gear going up an incline.....any thoughts guys?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Get a second opinion from a different mechanic.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sbyrd
Maaaan, took it to a local mechanic, and he wanted to pull out my engine and replace the oil pan gasket and some other gasket for $2,200.00!?
I was going to guess rear main seal/cover gasket leaking when I read your thread title. I'm sure it is leaking and that requires the trans to be removed to do. Not sure why he would pull the engine as that is more work. If it is the pan gasket leaking you just loosen the motor mounts enough to lift the engine to get the pan out. You don't have to pull the engine.

My guess is he doesn't know if it is your rear main or just pan gasket leaking so he was going to do both. Still a ridiculous amount of money to do that considering the gaskets cost no more than $100 for both (if that)
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Teching In

thanks Nathan & Lt1... I work during the week so it gets tough taking it to "honest" mechanics. And yes Lt1 I do notice oil where the tranny meets the engine

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
I was going to guess rear main seal/cover gasket leaking when I read your thread title. I'm sure it is leaking and that requires the trans to be removed to do. Not sure why he would pull the engine as that is more work. If it is the pan gasket leaking you just loosen the motor mounts enough to lift the engine to get the pan out. You don't have to pull the engine.

My guess is he doesn't know if it is your rear main or just pan gasket leaking so he was going to do both. Still a ridiculous amount of money to do that considering the gaskets cost no more than $100 for both (if that)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pull the motor...lol...another scumbag mechanic.

Check to see if the leak is at the dip stick tube where it goes into the block.....thats the only way oil can leak from over on that side by the tire. If it was leaking from the valve cover gasket you would see that easily, it would be a mess.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 02 Trans Am has a sensor on the back behind the intake manifold. It's called the Oil Pressure Sensor I believe. Check to make shure its tight. Pull the intake out, it makes it alot easier but you can do it with the intake still in. If you find it's lose, put teflon tape reverse to the threads. Hope this helps man.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Imma check the dipstick area... and I have already fixed the little oil leak by my intake manifold

Quick Reply: 02 WS6 Oil leak