General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

slight high idle and raising temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slight high idle and raising temp

today i started the car and let it warm up and it usually idles around 850-900 and it seemed to be stuck at 1100/1200 rpms and didnt go down, it drove fine then when i came to a complete stop, i let it run before shutting it off and the temp gauge started going from just under 180 to in between 180 and the middle mark within a minute or so. i had a slight leak where i had to add water or coolant every once and a while. and i turned it off and let it sit for about 3 hours and started it back up and still a higher then normal idle but the temp stayed at cold for a bit. what could it be? i have been having a battery issue for a while so gonna replace that soon.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could possibly have a bad thermostat, a small leak in the water pump, a plugged radiator, or any combo of the three.
Put the car on ramps, Fill the radiator from the radiator cap all the way to the top, put the cap back on, turn the car on and wait until it gets up to temp, check for leaks.
If it is coming out from behind the water-pump pulley you have a bad water pump.
if it just overheats you either have a bad thermostat and or a plugged radiator. Replace the thermostat first as it is cheaper and easier to replace. Good Luck!