General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can someone tell me if your gas gauge reads the fuel level w/NO key in the ignition!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Can someone tell me if your gas gauge reads the fuel level w/NO key in the ignition!

Update on post #9

Problem: The fuel gauge reads full always when the car is off, no keys. When I put the key on run and or start the car, it immediately goes straight to E. As soon as I turn the car off, it goes right back to full. I completely disconnected the harness to the gas tank and it still does exactly the same thing.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked and mine DOES read the fuel level with the car completely off with no key in the ignition
Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Good to know. Mine also does that, but I know my sending unit is bad.

Anyone else? The more data I can collect the better.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

So a friend just checked his 02 TA and sent me a pic. His does NOT read. I'm pretty sure that's what mine used to do.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-06-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine does not read, it rests at empty with the key off.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, mines doesn't read either with the key in the "off" position, my friends '99 Trans Am doesn't do it either.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Alright thanks!

Mine is reading and as soon as I put it to run or turn the car on, it goes way past E and stays there. My car started perfectly fine Christmas eve and now the battery is completely dead. I'm pretty sure it's causing the power drain.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

hmm, I wonder if my fuel pump was replaced or messed with before I got the car cause mine reads the level with the car off. Oh well, as long as I don't have to mess with it lol
Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

I figured I'd update this saying that I fixed it! Nobody ever updates their problem's solution.

For starters, I decided to replace my bad sending unit. I had always held off on it because you had to buy the entire pump assembly for several hundred dollars, even for one at Autozone. Some new research let me to find out Racetronix now sells just the sending unit for $50. ******' A! I bought mine from Lonnies Performance, a sponsor on here. Racetronix is in Canada and shipping to the states was ridiculous. LP carries Racetronix stuff.

With a working sending unit, that ruled that out as a problem and I was still having the same issue. I had done some work on replacing my LEDs on my gauges and thought I might had done something to the electronics. I hadn't taken off the needles when I did the work. I thought maybe they were pushed on too far, no dice. The problem was that the needle wanted to spin around to land in the correct position. I still don't understand it, but the clear plastic bezel was preventing the needle from doing that. So just put the gauges back on and turn the key on first, THEN put the clear bezel on. Problem solved.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-06-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ That's good to know, thx for reporting back.

Have you got any pics of that new overlay installed yet?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
^ That's good to know, thx for reporting back.

Have you got any pics of that new overlay installed yet?
Yep

I like them, but my white LED warning lights are purple looking now and you can barely tell if they are lit. I noticed that lettering is smaller too. I haven't yet put blue LED bulbs behind the gauges to see if they will look right and be bright enough.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Hmm... Well that's really no bueno considering they aren't exactly a bargain overlay, they do look good though. I wonder if there lighting up purple b/c the overlay is that gradient light blue all the way over to the warning lights(or there done in that gradient lt blue) and against a white led its lighting up purple? Them being smaller wouldn't really bother me to much but them being dull/not bright would, are they not that bright just b/c there purple you think or are they really not lighting up as much? Could you post a night/lighted pic?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

It's suppose to be a silver/gray gradient. The flash made it look that way. The warning lights should light up white since the stock red and yellow supposedly shines through the right color. I do see what your saying, but the cool white LEDs mixed with a bluish tint should make them blue, not purple. My white LEDs are much brighter than stock and yet they barely visible under these gauges. I wouldn't give a **** if they stay purple, as long as they were bright enough, but they are not. I'll get pics or maybe a vid later.

I'm really curious to see how blue LED's behind the gauges are going to look. Those are coming in the mail in a few weeks.