General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

brakes and abs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes and abs

ok my brake light keeps flicking on and off and it makes the abs light come on to can say old brake flued make it do this ??? say maybe 1993 brake fluid
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If the fluid is that old I'd definitely replace it. Every time my ABS INOP or BRAKE light come on I bleed or flush the system which seems to fix everything...
Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you had access to a body/chassis scanner you could check and see if there are any trouble codes from the braking system. My own personal experience with those dash lights is dirty wheel speed sensors, mainly the rear ones, as the front ones can't be serviced and the entire hub has to be replaced. Check your rear sensors for dirt-mine were so dirty they were covered in metallic debris that made them look like lollipops. Once I cleaned them off the dash-light show stopped. Give it a shot-you might as well rule that out before you start suspecting the ABS module or other more expensive pieces...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old brake fluid cannot do that.

but low brake fluid in the master cylinder resevoir will, there is a sensor in the resevoir. You have low brake fluid in the resevoir, top if off before you get air into the master cylinder and have spongy brakes. You should normally never have this happen, i would check over the whole system and make sure you have no leaks considering its age.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok

o its not low but its nasty and i cleand every thing up i know there is something makeing the ruber bluger come down