General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water Pump Again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Water Pump Again?

If coolant spews up from driver side of the water pump pulley, it is leaking from the weep hole and being picked up by the pulley? I mean, it can't be coming from the radiator or hoses, right?

I just almost can't believe the pump is going already because the pulley was nice and tight and there was no whine or small leaks that you would expect all pumps to start with before a major leak.

Where does the antifreeze that comes out of the weep hole come from? Pulley seal?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

my leak was from behind the bell.......
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean from behind the pulley?

On mine, antifreeze was spewing up from behind the pulley, or at least it appeared so. When the engine is shut off, it drips onto the ground for a little while before stopping.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I was going to start a new thread but this one is still pretty fresh, so I thought I'd jump in here.

I'm having the same problem with a leaking waterpump on a 2002 Z28 with 134,000 miles. I did some searching on here, and found a few common things people talk about.

A. could be weep hole leaking

B. could be seal leaking

C. could be gasket leaking

MY QUESTIONS:

1. I know what the gasket is, but when people say "the seal" are they in fact talking about the gasket or is it something totally different? (are the gasket and seal the same thing?)

2. Can anyone post a pic of this "weep hole" and/or tell exactly where it is? All I can tell by looking is that the water pump is leaking at the bottom.

3. If it's coming out of the weep hole, does that mean a new water pump is what's required to fix it?

I figured it was the gasket, but everyone keeps talking about this "weep hole"

Thanks in advance for all the help, Cory

Last edited by staledog; 01-08-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 01-08-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put a new pump on it, its due. My 00 ta was leaking from the weep hole undermeath , visible when the pump is removed if I remember correctly.

Easy to swap a new pump in, and it should be fine.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ACDenali
Put a new pump on it, its due. My 00 ta was leaking from the weep hole undermeath , visible when the pump is removed if I remember correctly.

Easy to swap a new pump in, and it should be fine.
Thanks buddy, I will.

As a side note, I think I've read about people getting rid of that dexcool antifreeze and putting in regular green antifreeze...thoughts on that?

While I'm sure the factory used that dexcool for a reason, why do some people switch to the regular green kind? Any side effects from doing so? And any special procedure I should use to flush the dexcool if I decide to switch?

Thanks again
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Well, after searching on here some more I did find LOTS of opinions about dexcool and how to flush the system if you're going to switch and all that.

It seems like there are two groups of people here, those who HATE the dexcool, and those who think it is ok.

The only problem is, I don't know who to believe!!!

I need to get this water pump issue fixed first though, and then I guess I'll worry about the dexcool vs. green antifreeze thing.

But I'll still welcome any advice/opinions that anyone may want to add...
Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Launching!

Also instead of starting a specific thread, I'll ask my question here.

I'm noticing a small leak from the back of my water pump .... it's a '99 Z28.

Replacing the water pump is pretty straightforward? From what I read, it has 5 bolts that hold it in place. Do I have to remove the electric cooling fans in order to get the pump off/on? Normally I would replace both the pump and T-stat ..... any other items that should be replaced at the same time? The hoses are relatively new. Does the water pump pulley have to come off before the pump comes out, or do I switch that once the pump is out?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fans can stay. Pulley stays on the pump. Change the thermostat while you're looking right at it.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by staledog
Well, after searching on here some more I did find LOTS of opinions about dexcool and how to flush the system if you're going to switch and all that.

It seems like there are two groups of people here, those who HATE the dexcool, and those who think it is ok.

The only problem is, I don't know who to believe!!!

I need to get this water pump issue fixed first though, and then I guess I'll worry about the dexcool vs. green antifreeze thing.

But I'll still welcome any advice/opinions that anyone may want to add...
First things first either antifreeze will work fine in an ls engine. I see some people on here saying that green antifreeze will not work in an ls1 his is not true just make sure that its compatible with aluminum motors... Next I'm kinda on the board that hates dexcool lol.

Reason being is that I've seen what happens when it isnt changed on time. It becomes almost sludge like and clogs every little pore in the radiator and overfill bucket. Also not that its a big deal on ls1's but several years ago there were several class action lawsuits with gm regarding dexcool because it actually will eat rubber gaskets. Several gm v6's that had water cooled intakes would constantly need the gaskets replaced because the dexcool would degrade the rubber. I actually had to replace a couple sets on cars and the gaskets def do not come out looking good.

With all that knowledge in mind I just play it safe and go with the regular old green stuff an it works great as long as you clean all the dexcool out of the motor.
Originally Posted by staledog
Hey everyone, I was going to start a new thread but this one is still pretty fresh, so I thought I'd jump in here.

I'm having the same problem with a leaking waterpump on a 2002 Z28 with 134,000 miles. I did some searching on here, and found a few common things people talk about.

A. could be weep hole leaking

B. could be seal leaking

C. could be gasket leaking

MY QUESTIONS:

1. I know what the gasket is, but when people say "the seal" are they in fact talking about the gasket or is it something totally different? (are the gasket and seal the same thing?)

2. Can anyone post a pic of this "weep hole" and/or tell exactly where it is? All I can tell by looking is that the water pump is leaking at the bottom.

3. If it's coming out of the weep hole, does that mean a new water pump is what's required to fix it?

I figured it was the gasket, but everyone keeps talking about this "weep hole"

Thanks in advance for all the help, Cory
As people said the weep hole is under the water pump pulley so you cant see it with the pump on. Also the water pump is a pretty easy job if its your first time it will probably be a 2 hr job if your experienced probably an hr. Also to answer your other question when people say "seal" they mean the rubber seals inside the pump. When it goes bad inside the pump it will let water actually out through the "weep" hole in the pump as opposed to letting it get into the bearings in the pump. By letting it go through the weep hole it also serves as an indicator the pump is done.