General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Excessive Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Road Noise

I have a LOT of road noise when driving. It kicks in at about 10-15mph, and just gets worse. On the freeway I can barely hear the motor. I know part of it is the cheap, bargain-bin, half-worn tires the car came with when I bought it (Wingro T/A's? What the hell are these?). Could anything else be contributing to the problem? What else should I look for? I think my shocks may be worn, but am mechanically inept and don't know how to check this, as I'm told it may be a factor. Ideas?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump, I know this is annoying. I have a **** load of rattling when my music isn't on I need to pin down.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Teching In

More info: the noise all emanates from the rear of the car, and is a constant drone of sorts. I wish I had the option of drowning the noise out with the stereo, but my front speakers don't work.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

throw a couple towels in the trunk area underneath the carpet and it took away some of my ungodly road noise.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The tires are part of your issue, but these cars have windows that slope towards your head. With your ear so close to the glass, you'll notice more road noise than in other cars where the glass is more vertical.

I'll bet if you fix your radio, you'll be a lot happier. Check out Kee Audio (site sponsor) for some good deals/options on equipment.

Quick Reply: Excessive Road Noise