General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ls oil leak help/advice

Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls oil leak help/advice

ok I have been searching and searching.. most come up with no good answer for me... I have an ls1/6 motor that leaks oil in what seems like the two long bolts that go through the back plate... and also at the blockoff plate right above the oil filter... It is all fresh gaskets and newly assembled and has less than 1k miles on it... the way I found the leak is through uv oil dye... now is there some sort of trick to getting those bolts to not leak? I have had this problem since I got the car together... with both the LH8 pan and now the F body pan.... any advice ?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The plate above the oil filter does not use a gasket, it uses an o-ring, perhaps the builder missed it?? the bolt holes are on the outside of the o-ring so there really should not be any way it could be leaking.

What exactly do you mean the two long bolts that go into the back plate,, If you are referring to the back of the oil pan, there are two long bolts that screw into the rear cover,, If you have oil coming off the bolts only, and are certain it is not coming from somewhere else, that would tell me its the pan gasket, Be sure it is not the rear main, There is a specific procedure for mounting the oil pan, rear cover on these LS engines, If the builder was inexperienced then that could be exactly what the problem is. Hope this helps..
Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a 5.3 Silverado apart as we speak due to an oil pan gasket. My first thought was the blockoff plate, replaced the seal on it and it didn't help. Mine was leaking at the front and running down the drivers side of the gasket then leaking out the back. Check your oil pressure sending unit too. It can leak and run down the back of the motor.

Search this Thread