General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Terrible fuel economy with light to moderate driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I mis read. 15mpg is normal, I use to get 18 back before they put ethanol in gasoline.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Sorry I mis read. 15mpg is normal, I use to get 18 back before they put ethanol in gasoline.
Yeah, the gasohol is awesome. Leaves harmful deposits, reduces power and economy, raises the price of gas, and the same negative effects on the human respiratory system after being burned. Thank you for mandating E10 in 06, liberal congress.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Yeah, the gasohol is awesome. Leaves harmful deposits, reduces power and economy, raises the price of gas, and the same negative effects on the human respiratory system after being burned. Thank you for mandating E10 in 06, liberal congress.
We've got a one station in my town and another in the next county west of us (that I know of) that are still selling ethanol free gas and since I switched to using them (even tho there 10-15 cents a gallon more then the other stations) I've noticed that even my oil is cleaner come oil change time versus what it used to be and that alone makes it worth using them.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
We've got a one station in my town and another in the next county west of us (that I know of) that are still selling ethanol free gas and since I switched to using them (even tho there 10-15 cents a gallon more then the other stations) I've noticed that even my oil is cleaner come oil change time versus what it used to be and that alone makes it worth using them.
Shoot, a lot of the stations that sell 100% gas around here are only a cent or two more expensive. But they're just so hard to find and so out of the way.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Shoot, a lot of the stations that sell 100% gas around here are only a cent or two more expensive. But they're just so hard to find and so out of the way.
Yeah it's a bit confusing that the CHEAPER to manufacture fuel is more expensive, but it's still worth every cent for how much better quality the fuel is over that other crap, Luckily our ethanol free is in quite literally in southern terms "a stone's throw" from the highway and is on my way between work and walmart the only thing that sucks is there hours they close between 8:30-9:30 depending on the day of the week and I used to get gas after work around 11 or so, so now I have to stop there while I'm on my lunch break to fill up. But its all worth it for the better fuel.

oh and screw that liberal congress, Corn should be used for FOOD not fuel.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah it's a bit confusing that the CHEAPER to manufacture fuel is more expensive, but it's still worth every cent for how much better quality the fuel is over that other crap, Luckily our ethanol free is in quite literally in southern terms "a stone's throw" from the highway and is on my way between work and walmart the only thing that sucks is there hours they close between 8:30-9:30 depending on the day of the week and I used to get gas after work around 11 or so, so now I have to stop there while I'm on my lunch break to fill up. But its all worth it for the better fuel.

oh and screw that liberal congress, Corn should be used for FOOD not fuel.
I cannot agree with you more on the corn part, but I'm not gonna turn this into a political debate b/c someone will get butthurt. And it's just a matter of supply and demand. Everybody wants pure gas, but it's in short supply, so the price is increased. And nice. I wish it was so close for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
No problem! Ah how interesting that the 10% ethanol is causing such a reduction in fuel economy. I haven't done any research on it. I would think that if fuel economy is dropping 10-15% as a result of adding it, that any cost savings would be negated by the additional fuel required to make up for the consumption.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
No problem! Ah how interesting that the 10% ethanol is causing such a reduction in fuel economy. I haven't done any research on it. I would think that if fuel economy is dropping 10-15% as a result of adding it, that any cost savings would be negated by the additional fuel required to make up for the consumption.
On my old honda I saw a 5-10% drop in fuel efficiency when the station I used to use switched to the 10% ethanol stuff, its almost like the car can burn it but doesn't actually produce any power from the ethanol portion. from what i've heard older cars (as in pre ethanol fuel) cars need to have there timing adjusted to properly burn even the 10% ethanol fuel, but I still don't like it.
We need to just drill the crap out of those places in Alaska and other locations in the continental USA and keep that oil here instead of sending it overseas and then buying there oil.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On my old honda I saw a 5-10% drop in fuel efficiency when the station I used to use switched to the 10% ethanol stuff, its almost like the car can burn it but doesn't actually produce any power from the ethanol portion. from what i've heard older cars (as in pre ethanol fuel) cars need to have there timing adjusted to properly burn even the 10% ethanol fuel, but I still don't like it.
We need to just drill the crap out of those places in Alaska and other locations in the continental USA and keep that oil here instead of sending it overseas and then buying there oil.
A gallon of ethanol has about 30% of the energy that a gallon of gas has. But the thing is, to access all that energy, the car has to be tuned for the ethanol. But you can't really do that unless it's burning an E85. So all E10 does is ruin our combustion. And in regards to the older cars, my 80 Formula ran fine (as fine as any other modern car, anyway) on the E10. Dunno if having the 301 had anything to do with that.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I have the exact same problem as u, right around 160ish a tank stock car
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Everyone who is running rich and getting terrible fuel economy may want to check their fuel pressure regulators. I'm not certain about its design on the LS1 so someone correct me if this is off base...

Basically on the 3.4L V6 there is a small rubber diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator which can wear out and leak fuel into a vacuum line if im not mistaken. This will result in a richer mixture and will confuse the computer because it will read richer on the O2 sensors than the computer will expect based on the signal it sends for the injectors.

If you scan the car and this condition exists you may find that the computer never switches to closed loop once it warms up. Also you may sometimes get a fuel smell in the cabin.

Again maybe not a valid point on LS1s but if they have a similar pressure regulator you may want to check it out.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

OP, are you using premium fuel or the cheap stuff?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nathan C
OP, are you using premium fuel or the cheap stuff?
Definitely premium fuel - 93 octane is readily available here in Memphis.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

my car with about the same mods as the OP, SLP lid and SLP dual-dual cat back, and i get about 14-15 mpg.

i have had a SES light once for a low voltage on bank 2 downstream O2.

my question is, can i replace just that O2 sensor? also, the SES light came on the other night, but i just unhooked the battery because i thought it might have came on for a loose fuel cap (just got gas earlier, and i could smell gas when i opened the fuel door).

so, whats a good replacement O2 sensor, and how hard are they to change? and can i replace just the 1? and which side is bank 2

sorry for the hijack...
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
Definitely premium fuel - 93 octane is readily available here in Memphis.
I have had a worst of 16 mpg with the mods I have and that was when I was driving to campus (4 miles) and stop and go around town. I get about 20 with 60% highway driving but I don't have a soft foot by any means.

Originally Posted by i'm sofa king
my car with about the same mods as the OP, SLP lid and SLP dual-dual cat back, and i get about 14-15 mpg.

i have had a SES light once for a low voltage on bank 2 downstream O2.

my question is, can i replace just that O2 sensor? also, the SES light came on the other night, but i just unhooked the battery because i thought it might have came on for a loose fuel cap (just got gas earlier, and i could smell gas when i opened the fuel door).

so, whats a good replacement O2 sensor, and how hard are they to change? and can i replace just the 1? and which side is bank 2

sorry for the hijack...
denso or bosch...get them from amazon or rockauto.com
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im getting about 14.5 all city. about 180/tank but when i fill up only 12.5ish gallons go in. bad sending unit? and thats why my mpg "seems" low?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually get like 14 mpg in town.... In my m6... I would swear sonethings wrong, but i get like 440 miles on a tank or so on road trips with fuel to spare. "31 mpg".

My old z28 got terrible fuel mileage in town to, guess its just our shitty 90 octane fuel where I live. Car runs 10x better on 93 octane.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

im running 91. nothing less.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 14k
im running 91. nothing less.

Only like 3 gas stations around here carry 91. Its all 90 octane.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I go full to E which is about 180 miles the pump stops putting gas around 12.6gallons. Bad sending unit and there's more gas in the tank?

Quick Reply: Terrible fuel economy with light to moderate driving