General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird/noise feeling when I back up or pull up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Weird/noise feeling when I back up or pull up.

My car has a odd feeling of something unloading when you start to move it. Its only the initial turn of the wheels you can feel something unload. It hits just solid enough to feel. It acts as if the torque arm bushing is bad but I can't feel any excessive movement in it that I can tell. Is it possible its the problem? I've replaced U joints and tranny mount. What do you guys think? Its more when reversing but you can feel it sometimes going forward and it doesn't do it all the time. Just occasionally. thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car does the same around corners when turning. I would double check your suspension (pan hard bar) and rear sway bar. Mine I'm pretty sure the end link sway bar bushings are cracked and rotted and a shift in weight causes the end link to shift on the bushing into a crack and thud
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just re read your post I mis read it the first time.

That sounds like a u joint problem, however it could also be a transmission issue. A4 or m6?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like already mentioned, check your rubber bushings; torque arm, panhard rod, lower control arms too. U joints will sometimes make a click-clack sound when pulling off if they're worn. Just some ideas...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't click at all. Its like a muffled noise. Think of how the torque arm works, when you pull forward it pushes down, when you back up it pushes up. Say theres a inch space between stops its like im hearing it make contact. U joints are new and is why I replaced them, tq arm bushing has very little movement up and down (just the rubber flexing) the transmission is a Tick leve II with less than 8k on it. I never checked the panhard rod, and control arms but its only makes 1 light thump. the sound is like you held your knuckle a 1/4 inch away from a table and then hit the table, very faint but noticable. Thanks