General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Battery problem?

Hey everyone
Since I bought my 02 TA 8 months ago I've never really noticed my battery until I went to unhook it the other night. Im unsure if this is factory positioning or the previous owner had intentions on doing this, but the battery is lying on its side with the terminals facing the rear of the car. Not only that, but when I went to pick it up to flip it right side up, the thing seems to be bolted to the car or something. Hopefully this is just a stupid question, haha, but can someone help me out here?
Thanks for your input!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

What exactly is the problem? That picture shows a correctly positioned battery that's secured by the factory bracket.

Was it positioned differently before? Either way, it's correct now.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats how mine looks, but mine isnt attached to anything... stupid previous owner.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, so there is a bracket holding this sucker in huh? I'll look around on it tomorrow now that I know theres something holding it down.
The side terminals were throwing me off. I just have never owned a car with this type of battery.
My original problem was I needed to disconnect the battery, but this arrangment was throwing me off so I thought I should check if everything was looking correct and not rigged up somehow.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Ok, so there is a bracket holding this sucker in huh? I'll look around on it tomorrow now that I know theres something holding it down.
The side terminals were throwing me off. I just have never owned a car with this type of battery.
My original problem was I needed to disconnect the battery, but this arrangment was throwing me off so I thought I should check if everything was looking correct and not rigged up somehow.
Thanks for the info!
Some batteries have side terminals. (You may find some replacement batteries come with both top and side terminals.) The car came this way from the factory.

The bracket is integral to the coolant overflow bottle and grips the bottom of the battery. (So, you'll want to make sure a replacement battery is the same size, otherwise your bracket won't capture the replacement.) There is one bolt near the bottom of the battery (it will be rusted and hard to turn) that holds the top part of the bracket on. Remove that bolt and the battery will come free.