General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

3 hours and 7 plugs later...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 3 hours and 7 plugs later...

My arms are sore.

Tomorrow I'll change that #7 and route all the new wires. I'm happy I started with the passenger side, but when I moved to driver side I should have started with the back since thats the only one I cannot get from the top.

This really hasnt been that bad, only needed one short extension and all of them have come up from the top. The reason its taken 3 hours is because I was also trying to keep my kids happy in the house, so I was running back and forth a lot... even cooked and served dinner.

Oh, and the #8 plug was almost completely closed... cant wait to get this thing running again. Found a rotted spot in a wire that cracked in half when I applied slight pressure.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took me 6 hours 2 days ago and i had a lift... i feel for you man lol
Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

I still have the numbers from the passenger side manifolds on my right arm... they were indented at first, but now I have red raised numbers on my arm. Who needs tatoos?!

If I didnt have kids, or if I had someone to watch them, this would go faster, but I'd still be hurting. Also, if my husbands project wasnt taking up the garage I could have done this inside there and not of had to stop when it got dark outside.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

you guys do know that if you disconnect the tubes that are on the way it only takes about 2 hrs right?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by notsue
My arms are sore.

Tomorrow I'll change that #7 and route all the new wires. I'm happy I started with the passenger side, but when I moved to driver side I should have started with the back since thats the only one I cannot get from the top.

This really hasnt been that bad, only needed one short extension and all of them have come up from the top. The reason its taken 3 hours is because I was also trying to keep my kids happy in the house, so I was running back and forth a lot... even cooked and served dinner.

Oh, and the #8 plug was almost completely closed... cant wait to get this thing running again. Found a rotted spot in a wire that cracked in half when I applied slight pressure.
one of my best friends quit his job because of one of these things. he locked his box, and walked.

i think if you can easily and safely get underneath, you can considerably cut down the time.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

There have been no tubes in my way... cept the one I bent out of the way so I could take care of #2... other than that my forearm has been pinned between my exhaust manifolds and the wheel well. Its moving along just fine, I just have to keep going in the house to make sure my kids arent burning down my house. Kids slow things down, seriously. On the driver side the steering shaft is preventing me from getting that last one from the top, so tomorrow I'll go under and try again.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youre a woman? That's so awesome.... I love a woman who can do stuff like this... My wife can change her own oil, tire and battery... she gets in the garage with me and works her *** off... she mows our yard with a push mower.... shes so small and timid looking though, you would never guess she's such a badass...
Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i bet that notsue's man makes a mean quiche
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I grew up watching my dad do anything and everything to his cars, and then when it came time for me to own one, I was too much of a cheap *** to take them to a shop.

One time, I took my 1969 Mach 1 to an oil change place because I was feeling lazy (and I lived in an apartment complex who frowned upon that kind of stuff...) and I sat there for 10 minutes in the car and watched them try to just figure out how to open the hood. They came into the car and opened my air vents, and other stupid stuff... finally I walked over there and showed them how to do it.

I've had my share of accidents, like over torquing the bolts on the thermostat housing and cracking it in half... I didnt know what a torque wrench was before that, I swear I never saw my dad use one.

I believe my mom bought me a giant tool set from Sears when I was 16 because I had already been working on her car that she didnt use anymore...

I've been pleasantly surprised with how "easy" this plug change has gone after everything I read beforehand.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My arms are sore.

If you haven't put the new ones in yet.....Do yourself a favor and only put them on as tight as they will go using just your hand with a socket on the plug. Then put the ratchet on it and literally snug it barely. Thats all plugs need. Next time it'll be a breeze.......

When I remove my plugs they almost fall out. I change them all in 35 minutes.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Hes very manly... he just hates my car and doesnt want to touch it unless he has to. Keeps telling me how LT1s suck, and how I should have got an LS1, but yet he was the one who found this car on CL for me... so wtf. Too late to complain. We had an LS1 before... I'm happier with my LT1.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I used the torque wrench on the #2 plug, but I threw it aside after screwing around for a minute or two trying to get the next one. I'm hoping the anti-seize will do its job when another plug change is in order.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

a flex head ratchet and maybe a swivel makes them easier.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Just did the plugs today on my ls1 -_- fun times were not had but it got done at the expensive of tore up arms/hands.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

I'm happy I started with the passenger side,.
Yup. This advice should be stated more. I started with my driver side a couple months back, looked at the passenger side and went inside for the night.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Sorry I thought you had an LS1 OP. So Ignore what I had said.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I grew up watching my dad do anything and everything to his cars, and then when it came time for me to own one, I was too much of a cheap *** to take them to a shop.

One time, I took my 1969 Mach 1 to an oil change place because I was feeling lazy (and I lived in an apartment complex who frowned upon that kind of stuff...) and I sat there for 10 minutes in the car and watched them try to just figure out how to open the hood. They came into the car and opened my air vents, and other stupid stuff... finally I walked over there and showed them how to do it.

I've had my share of accidents, like over torquing the bolts on the thermostat housing and cracking it in half... I didnt know what a torque wrench was before that, I swear I never saw my dad use one.

I believe my mom bought me a giant tool set from Sears when I was 16 because I had already been working on her car that she didnt use anymore...

I've been pleasantly surprised with how "easy" this plug change has gone after everything I read beforehand.
i've been lucky enough that i've only ever had to change the plugs on these things a couple of times. to be honest, the v8monza i did years ago, or the old big block trans ams were much much harder.
i'm pretty lucky.....i'm friggin skinny. i can fit my arms in places in the engine bay where most mechanics/techs can't.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Its day 2 and I'm done. Couldnt time it because I had too much other stuff going on at the same time... Took it for a test drive and my issues are all gone, finally. I had checked the plugs and wires a few weeks ago when I did the o2 sensors and they looked fine at a quick glance... but after pulling them all out and really going over those wires it was clear that had to of been causing me some issues. So happy to have it all behind me. Now I can work on the interior... remove white face gauges and fix stereo issues are next on my list.