General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad gas mileage (o2 sensor?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad gas mileage (o2 sensor?)

About a month of so ago, I started getting codes for the pass side o2 sensor so I figured it was either going bad or already bad. Once I got under the car, I noticed that the band clamp between my headers and exhaust (past the sensor) had broken and come loose which was causing a bad exhaust leak. I bought a new clamp, put everything back together and immediately the o2 sensor codes went away. Since I still needed an extension, I didn't change out the front sensor. Ever since then, though, my gas mileage has been getting worse and worse. Right now, with about 50/50 highway city driving, I get MAYBE 150 miles per tank or so. Could it still be the sensor screwing with my mpg? I don't drive the car hard and 75% of my work commute is on the highway at 65 mph in 6th gear. With gas $4/gal, it's starting to hurt. Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the o2 sensors, im replacing mine despite no codes but crappy gas mileage. They aren't expensive, i think people get the densos on amazon for around 40 a piece.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
Do the o2 sensors, im replacing mine despite no codes but crappy gas mileage. They aren't expensive, i think people get the densos on amazon for around 40 a piece.
Yeah, I guess I'll go ahead and order another one + the extensions and replace them. I already bought 1 sensor. Having the car retuned soon as well so that should help.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would advise that also. I had bad o2 sensors and it threw my gas down far. On the plus side if it doesn't fix the problem and they really were ok you will have to replace them sooner or later anyways, but if you wait (like i did) you burn enough in gas in a week or two that it wouldn't have mattered anyways..