General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! Car is completely dead.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Car is completely dead.

Was wiring up gauges (a pillar) and finished that up and when car was running, when tot set the backlight on the water temp gauge and the little button was jammed. So when I pressed it something short circuited and everything just died.

Only thing that works in the car is the door chime. Acc power won't work if key is turned back, windows don't work, Car won't start, turning key to power returns no results. Checked the 50 Amp IGN fuse in the engine bay and it was burnt so put in a new one and still absolutely nothing, have checked basically all fuses, pcm bat, pcm ign, etc.

Did it fry the PCM?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try unhooking the gauge, keeping the wires separate, and trying it then?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the new IGN fuse was not as transparent and it actually blew. I realized when i put a new fuse in that the moment the key was turned to power the fuse instantly blew, so i disconnected the wiring from the ign and constant power and put a new one in and it worked fine.

Now i just gotta figure out why the gauges are blowing ign fuses. I disconnected the water temp gauge and it still blew the fuses so looks like i gotta check over the whole harness..

Quick Reply: HELP! Car is completely dead.