General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

09 tb ss randomly wont start and dies randomly

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 tb ss randomly wont start and dies randomly

I have an 09' tbss that will take cycling the key multiple time to start and then while driving, it randomly dies. I got the truck in Oct. 11' and while I've had it I can say the only thing that has happened to the truck is its been put in park while in motion once. It's not driven hard and the check engine light came on long before these problems started. The code was for the cats. Im pretty sure my not starting issue is not from the cats. I'm in dire need of diagnosing expertise. I'm a great parts changer not mechanic. Any advise would be much appreciated... Thanks.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could be a few things that come to mind. first and cheapest i would check your fuel pressure at the rail. make sure the pump is healthy

if you have to cycle the key its the cam position sensor.

if it dies while driving its the crank position sensor

my camaro has a bad cam position sensor and i have to cycle the key 3 times to start it, and even then 1 out of 20 tries the car wont start and ill have to crank it for about 5 minutes. when the cam position sensor goes out the crank position sensor picks up the load, when the crank sensor goes out the car stalls and dies
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Teching In

When I say cycle the key it doesn't turn over. I have to cycle it till it finally turns over. When it turns over it starts fine. When it does die it just dies without a studder, like I've turned the key off.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so it won't even crank initially? Then when it is running it will randomly die on you? I think you have one of two issues.

1. This is less likely just because your SS is new. If it has a hard time cranking it sounds like a starter issue initially or something on the starter circuit. But then once it is running the stalling could be a crank sensor, fuel pump, wiring, etc. I can't see you having both those issues but you never know.

2. I think your problem may be with the ignition switch. That can give you trouble while trying to start the car and could also cause the stalling. This is more likely since it seems you have two completely different problems (no crank and then stalling).

Once you get your car running the next time try wiggling the key a little in the ignition and see if it will stall on you.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be the ignition relay like mentioned. Try swapping it with the fan relay and see if it helps

Have you tried to prime the pump before you try to turn the car over? Cycle the key from off to run 3 times for 3 chimes of the door alert.

In all honesty is sounds like a crank position sensor
Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Teching In

I don't know if a 09 is the same as an 05, but I vote for ign switch. Small plastic box with a plastic gear with 5 contacts inside. The gear turns with the lock cylinder. Since it's been changed 4 or 5 times in the 3 or 4 years my mom has owned her truck, once under gm certified used 30 day warranty and several times by me, I always have a new one and a nut runner in her glove box. GM, napa, and autozone switches are all exactly the same.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...t=ignition+ign
I'm sure you could find a thread with pics if you wanted.

http://gmtnation.com/forum.php
is good too, but didn't see anything on the switch there.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advise and pointers guys. Much appreciated! One more question.... Would this have anything to do with it being put in park while it was in motion. It made the awful clicking until it came to a stop. Also, one more detail I forgot to mention is that when u cycle the key in attempt to start it, I can tell if it will or won't start because the release button on the shifter will actually depress. Now it should depress as soon as the key is in the start position running or not. That is why I think its the neutral safety switch...... Thoughts??

Quick Reply: 09 tb ss randomly wont start and dies randomly