General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Firebird won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Firebird won't start

My Firebird has been sitting up for awhile now. Just got a new fuel pump in it a couple years ago. I've been starting it every week up until it ran out of gas. I went and got some gas in a small container and put it in and it will turn over, it just won't start. Any idea what I could do to fix it?? I might just need to add more fuel to it. I hate the idea of the pump going bad again since I just spent $1500 to get it replaced and a tune-up, wires etc a couple years ago. Hasn't been on the road since.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 AM
8 Second Club

When you put the fuel in the car, did you turn the key half way for a bit to allow the fuel pump to prime/run and get some fuel back in line or did you just turn the key right away?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

holly **** $1500 damb some got you. but do you have fuel presure at the rails? do you hear the pump turn on?. put a couple more gallons in and start from there if you cant check the fuel presure. and like stated above turn the key off and on a couple times to prime the system up. does it try at all to start?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by COOKIE MONSTER
When you put the fuel in the car, did you turn the key half way for a bit to allow the fuel pump to prime/run and get some fuel back in line or did you just turn the key right away?
Originally Posted by tt383lt1
holly **** $1500 damb some got you. but do you have fuel presure at the rails? do you hear the pump turn on?. put a couple more gallons in and start from there if you cant check the fuel presure. and like stated above turn the key off and on a couple times to prime the system up. does it try at all to start?

Yes, I've turned the key to the ON position several times to prime the fuel pump, still will not start. It does try to start, just won't fully start. What do I need to check the fuel pressure? I don't know if the pump turns on, what do i need to listen for to see if it does? Is it a quiet noise? I've tried to listen but may have to unplug my stereo to hear it, as it makes a loud beeping noise when I turn the car on.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have fuel pressure...just for the hell of it, swap your ignition relay out, maybe it's bad.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much fuel did you add? Theres a bunch of things that can cause a no start.... The easiest to check for is fuel and spark. What engine is it V6 or V8?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Open the gas cap then close it fully up. Then get someone to turn the key to the on position while you stand near the back. You should be able to hear the fuel pump spool up. I could hear mine from inside the car when I pressurized the system after changing the fuel filter.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99monguse
If you have fuel pressure...just for the hell of it, swap your ignition relay out, maybe it's bad.
I'm a chick, don't know much about vehicles. How do I check the fuel pressure? I don't know how to swap the ignition relay.

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
How much fuel did you add? Theres a bunch of things that can cause a no start.... The easiest to check for is fuel and spark. What engine is it V6 or V8?
I had a 1 gallon container and had to add gas to another car too, so maybe a half a gallon. Its a V6. I've read to check for spark I have to pull the spark plugs and touch them to something but i'm not sure what?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sxemama
I'm a chick, don't know much about vehicles. How do I check the fuel pressure? I don't know how to swap the ignition relay.

I had a 1 gallon container and had to add gas to another car too, so maybe a half a gallon. Its a V6. I've read to check for spark I have to pull the spark plugs and touch them to something but i'm not sure what?
Don't take this the wrong way but if you aren't sure how to swap a relay or check for fuel pressure you might be better off taking the car to a shop. As mentioned earlier, it could be a TON of different things that cause a "no start" condition and without knowing the basics like checking for spark or fuel then you will just be wasting time and money replacing parts.

Quick Reply: 98 Firebird won't start