General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Checking OIL level!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking OIL level!!!!!

hey everyone, I know I could look in the manuel but I dont have one, so im coming here to ask.

How do we correctly check our oil on ls1's. Cold or warm and does it matter on level of surface. Kinda a stupid question but I would like to know thanks and god bless
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most accurate is cold after it has been sitting for a few hours, or overnight even better. It gives the oil time to settle into the pan.

The best thing you can do, which I did like 10 years ago on my LS1...is......

Next time you do an oil change, if you have the time, drain the oil over-night...to make sure you pretty much have it ALL out..... Then the next day.......add 3.5 qrts of the new oil right away, then wait 15 minutes. Take the dip-stick out and with a file or an ice pick or peen with a hammer, mark the 3.5 qrt level. Then pour in another qrt and wait 15 minutes again, and then mark the 4.5 qrt level, then pour the last qrt in and wait 15 minutes again, and then mark the 5.5 qrt level.
((you will need to leave about 15 minutes between pouring in each additional qrt so it has time to fully drain down to the pan))

Now you will have a dead ***** accurate reading when you check the oil when its cold and its been sitting. They'll be no question at all how many qrts are in the oil pan.

Then after you go for a drive and its up to operating temp....pull over, shut the engine off and go check it real fast. That will tell you where it lies when its hot. Make a hot full mark if you want to. Then you can make an engine running/idling hot mark too. Whatever you want.

I personally check my oil every week when its cold one morning.........

Last edited by LS6427; 04-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

that's not a bad idea!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only has to sit for 15 min per General Motors to get an accurate reading. Anything more than that you MAY get a variance of like... 1/8-1/16 qt. Which to me is not worth writing home about. These are OHV engines so not a whole lot stays in the top end once its shut down.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
It only has to sit for 15 min per General Motors to get an accurate reading. Anything more than that you MAY get a variance of like... 1/8-1/16 qt. Which to me is not worth writing home about. These are OHV engines so not a whole lot stays in the top end once its shut down.
True.

But for the purposes of making accurate permanent marks on a dipstick like I explained above, it will take a full 15 minutes for ALL the oil to drain back into the pan after each new quart is added. But for the first draining, to get it ALL out, mine dripped, non-stop, for over an hour.

So for the first draining....2 hours is good....or just drain it at night, finish the job in the morning.

Quick Reply: Checking OIL level!!!!!