General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Long day gets ridiculous. Coolant issue, temp guage, help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Long day gets ridiculous. Coolant issue, temp guage, help please

Yes, I did search, which how I was able to do most of what i did today the right way however,...... here is the problem and back story. quick version.

Car: 02' LS1

Never messed with coolant so decided to flush and add. I drained EVERY bit of it. Followed some directions from one of the mod sites which indicated to remove the two bolts for the t-stat housing, take out t-stat , etc...so....

I did not remove t-stat from housing, just let remaining coolant drain out. Went to put housing back on and voila!!!!, broke off one of the bolts! So.,,,,,I took out the radiator, and all corresponding parts just so I could get to the water pump (which i also removed so I could lay it flat and get the broken bolt out of the t-stat housing) I did so, then put everything back together.

Left the little hose on the drivers side from the TB to that metal line disconnected at that line (per installuniversity.com directions) to allow for air to escape the system while I filled coolant. I filled radiator, to point where coolant come out of that hose (the highest point in the system so the directions said), then started her up. Continually added some coolant until it stated full, now............... interesting part.

I let it idle for about 15 min, then drove it for about 10 and my temp guage on the dash NEVER MOVED! I have no idea whats wrong. When I cracked the radiator cap, it didnt hiss, or spit fluid, nothing!! but the hoses upper and lower were hotter than hell.

WTF is going on?? air still in system? why the hell isnt temp guage working. im afraid that engine is overheating and i just dont know it. I appreciate any and all constructive comments, etc.... THANKS.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

almost forgot, the overflow shows full, the radiator is full and with cap off and car at idle you can tell the coolant is getting hot (steam swirling around) but temp guage never
moves. I have no idea wtf is going on.

I checked around water pump and t-stat housing and all hoses and im not leaking coolant anywhere
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Coolant temp sensors have been known to fail when a flush is done.

Maybe its just failed. If you went for a drive and you didn't overheat, as in coolant blowing into the over-flow tank....its probably not getting hot. A good gauge about an engine being hot...you should be able to keep your hand on top of the intake and leave it there. If you can't, its hotter than it should be.

If I were you....I would wait til tomorrow when its cold. Take the radiator cap off and top it off. Start it up. Wait there until it starts to flow (t-stat opens). If the level drops down, top it off IMMEDIATELY, don't wait. Then the t-stat will shut and the flow will stop. Wait again for it to start to flow. If it drops down again, top it off. Your done.

NOTE....while its heating up the coolant might rise and start to slowly come out of the filler neck, thats ok, just let it.
Also.....it should start to flow in 10-15 minutes, make sure you're not getting too hot sitting and waiting. If you can keep your hand on the intake, its not too hot.

Couldn't hurt to get a new radiator cap........

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Thank you very much. If you dont mind checking back later I will post up what happened. Where is the temp sensor located? Thanks again, I appreciate the help. We finally got an early spring here in Maryland and I would like to take advantage of the better weather! I'll post up after I try your advice.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Ok, my dumb *** forgot to hook back up the wire harness on the side of the block for the temp guage, duh!! After that, I started the car up, let it idle, temp guage worked, rose slowly and no coolant dropped down even after at idle with a temp of 210., however, .....

my fans NEVER came on! I drove around for 10 min or so, temp guage stayed at 210, but the fans still did NOT come on. I was able to lay my hand on the intake lid for quite a while and it did not get hot, so im guessing engine was not overheating. Everything seemed to be ok with the exception of the fans not coming on, though yesterday, with that wiring harness not connected, the fans DID WORK.

Im still kind of confused. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

If anyone else could comment but i think it should be fine.
If its not overheating then I wouldnt worry. My guess is that they were only on before as the engine was overheating and it had to cool it down. Not sure on how you could check it without overheating it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

ok, so here is where im at now.

Temp guage rises to and stays steady at 210. even after driving around. I am not leaking any coolant anywhere, and after the rad cap is off, coolant is there. the overflow dipstick is showing "full when cold" even after 40 minutes of driving. (??) also, fans STILL WILL not come on. (i have not yet checked relays)

vehicle doesnt seem to be overheating, i dont think t-stat is stuck open because the fans arent on. the intake lid is not overly hot.
any thoughts on what is going on here???

im confused as hell. and off topic, my SES light that used to be on for last 2 years since I put the ORY and Headers on, is now NOT illuminated. it just.....went away.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

also just to add info, following mods may or may not be contributing

Ported TB
MAF mod
Lower airbox mod
and i do not have that plastic piece that sits in front of radiator or the larger plastic piece that is below that. i am getting lots of air up and straight through to the airbox. could i just be keeping the engine cooler in general or are fans still a problem??
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you turn the A/C on (MAX) the fans should come on....in LOW. After it gets hotter, they will come on to HIGH. They should also always work together, never separate.

Are you saying you don't have a front air dam on the car? It should overheat fast on the highway without it.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My temp gauges in all of my98's never seem to move. It's a common thing to me at this point

When you had the temp sensor unplugged the car could not read the temperature so it had the fans constantly running.

I'm assuming you left the battery in hooked while doing the work, it should have reset the battery which explains why the light turned off
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

This gets more interesting as I go. Temp guage still sits at 210, not a degree over whether at idle or driving. Its stays consistent. I tried the A/C to get the fans to come on, which they did, so I know there are no electrical issues keeping the fans from working.

I still think the T-stat is stuck open, but today.., something new and worrisome. I do some driving and when I get back with the engine off I hear what sounds like liquid boiling., like a bubbling sound. I open the hood and I can hear that bubbling sound from next to the radiator near the cap. I didnt open it, just waited a minute and it settled down on its own, but it was a little freaky.

Any thoughts??? Im running out of ideas. Nothing is "really" wrong. The temp guage works, fans operate when AC on, but wont come on without the AC, so its possible the engine isnt getting hot enough to require the fan??

I cant help but wonder if overall the engine is staying cooler from some of the mods and all is ok. IDK.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

This gets more interesting as I go. Temp guage still sits at 210, not a degree over whether at idle or driving. Its stays consistent. I tried the A/C to get the fans to come on, which they did, so I know there are no electrical issues keeping the fans from working.

I still think the T-stat is stuck open, but today.., something new and worrisome. I do some driving and when I get back with the engine off I hear what sounds like liquid boiling., like a bubbling sound. I open the hood and I can hear that bubbling sound from next to the radiator near the cap. I didnt open it, just waited a minute and it settled down on its own, but it was a little freaky.

Any thoughts??? Im running out of ideas. Nothing is "really" wrong. The temp guage works, fans operate when AC on, but wont come on without the AC, so its possible the engine isnt getting hot enough to require the fan??

I cant help but wonder if overall the engine is staying cooler from some of the mods and all is ok. IDK.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greengoblinLS1

Quick Reply: Long day gets ridiculous. Coolant issue, temp guage, help please